Forums/

Beginner Running

User_avatar Deleted User

New and have a question!

posted over 2 years ago | Report

Hi guys,

I'm new to the daily mile and relatively new to running. Looking for friends/motivation/advice!

Also, does anyone else get really bad tightening/stiffness/pain in their achilles the day after a run? I get it only on one foot and it seems to be associated with sharp heel pain. It goes away if I take a day off/as the day goes on and I move around more.

16 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Hi Laura,

First, FR incoming. Second, what type of shoes are you running in? Do you stretch at all after you run?

posted over 2 years ago

• Laura,

I did a few years ago and I ignored it. It ended up being tendinitis. I'd recommend getting checked out just to make sure... you don't want to make it worse.

For me my shoes were the problem. I pronate when I run so I ended up buying motion control shoes.... not cheap, but they've been a big help.

I had to do some therapy on the achilles, then ease back into it slowly. I still get pain every once in awhile but an ibuprofen seems to help with that.

fr sent.

posted over 2 years ago

• I don't have that, but getting checked isn't a bad idea. Also, how did you pick your shoes? Anyone help out by watching you run one way or another? I didn't end up getting a pair in the store that way because of their inventory, but have learned to figure out what could work from that.

Keep your runs very short and easy at most in the meantime. Not sure how much more you've been doing than what you have logged. It should not feel like a workout when you finish right now because you're conditioning things to be able to handle the workload without getting hurt. And you've indicated feeling soreness as it is.

posted over 2 years ago

• For most running injuries the cause can be traced to form and having the correct shoe. Look at some gait videos, including heel vs. midfoot or forefoot strike. You can find many different approaches to how to improve for to reduce injuries, but the vast majority will include eliminating or reducing the severity of heel striking.

posted over 2 years ago

• I think the best think to do is get your gait analysed at a runners shop and get shoes for your style of running, don't let the pain progress as it will put you off running altogether, Stretching is a must after any exercise, FR sent

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks for all the advice!

I do stretch but probably not as thoroughly as I should, especially in that area.

My shoes are Merrell barefoot type called Run Pace Glove: http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Run-Pace-Glove?dimensions=0

My dad owns a shoe store but my family is NOT one of runners so I basically picked them out myself.

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Also, I definitely run on the balls of my feet, forefoot strike I guess. I really don't even understand how people physically can run heel-first. Makes no sense to me.

posted over 2 years ago

• Everyone runs differently, My daughter runs on her tip toes, I looked at the shoe you are using, its very similar to the Nike free, low profile and thin sole, basically designed for people who want to progress to bare foot running,I tried the Nike free and I had sore knees and ankles wearing them, I'd definitely try a different shoe to what you are using just now if the pain persists.

posted over 2 years ago

• Those have a really low heel-toe drop, so you will experience some soreness in the heel to calf area. Just take it slow getting used to it. If you are a forefoot striker, it won't be a big deal. Your body will get used to it but definitely build your mileage slowly.

posted over 2 years ago

• You may also want to check out the Tripping Point Foam Rollers to help release the muscle tension in the calf and ankle. It helped me tremendously.

posted over 2 years ago

• Like a couple others said, it sounds like you just pushed too hard or far to soon. Stretch (after running), start runs slow, and build your mileage slowly.

I really considered the Men's version of the Pace Glove as I'm getting away from traditional shoes myself. I went with the Kinvara 3s, but the Merrell was the other I seriously considered. Just recently got to the point I can't run comfortably in my old shoes, so I must be doing something right.

posted over 2 years ago

• definately go to a running store that puts you on a treadmill and does a quick video of you running... ask a lot of questions! try on many shoes! my right gets sore after some runs. i mix running and spinning, to mix up my training. also, stretching is good, but the common mistake is to stretch before you start. since you are not warmed up, that can cause you issues... do a warm up first, slower running works. i do not stretch before at all... just warm up, then speed up... but experiment and see what works for you.

posted over 2 years ago

• potentially bad.

if you pinch the achilles and it feels tender you should probably not run for a few days.

achilles tendonitis can shut you down for anywhere from 1 week to over a month depending on how bad it gets.

Hill work would be a bad idea right now.

posted over 2 years ago

• I have the same problem from time to time. For me it's related to a bone spur. The more I stretch (daily, running or not) the better it is. FR coming as well.

posted about 2 years ago

• I had heel pain, but it seems to be gone now that I'm barely heel striking. I agree with the stretching. Foam rolling can help with some of the achilles pain. FR sent!

posted about 2 years ago

• you DONT want a bad achilles problem. & DONT overanalyze this either. find a good "running" doctor/podiatrist. make sure there isn't anything major wrong. THEN go to a running specialty store & have somebody "fit" you into a good/appropriate shoe. i have never been a fan of the minimalist/barefoot types of shoes. i'm a traditionalist, and i am beyond loyal to nike, so take my shoe recommendations with a huge grain of salt. way back in the day, b4 you were born, what we called our racing flats were what they are calling minimalist shoes today. the nike free is simply a very lightweight & flexible shoe, ideal for racing. my stepdaughter wears the nike "free run 2". BUT she doesn't run every day and her longest run ever is maybe 4 miles. her women's size 7 feels heavier than my old nike eagles from back in 1980-1983? roadrunner sports on line description has the mans nike free 2 at 9.5oz. i believe we received the old nike eagles at 7oz, shaved the midsole, flared the heel & put the old new balance vibram outsole on & they weighed in AFTER modifications at about 5oz. BUT WE ONLY RACED IN THESE TYPES OF SHOES. & i can't stress that enough. the only real "equipment" we have as a runner is the shoes. the only thing protecting us from the pounding from the ground. if you begin to get faster, your form will also change & become more efficient. since most of our runs really should NOT be close to race pace, the more natural foot strike begins with the outer edge of the heel & rolls thru & over to the medial/inside for a big-toe push off. as long as the roll to the medial side of the foot is NOT pronounced, you shouldn't have too much of any "mechanical" problems causing injury. however, in my opinion, (opinion only), by forcing your foot strike towards the front of the foot, you are placing far greater stresses on the achilles, soles & calf muscles.
    enuf of my ramblings.
    find a good running doc & get the experts opinion.
    then go to a specialty running store & ask for 3-5 different brands of the "correct" type of shoe for you, (multiple brands are to eliminate any sales "spiffs" that will sway the sales persons suggestions), & YOU decide, based on comfort, price, etc.
    FINALLY let us know what happens, you know, what you find to be the root of the achilles issues. & this is supposed to be fun! ENJOY YOUR RUNNING!

posted about 2 years ago | edited about 2 years ago