Forums/

Beginner Running

Cross Training and Strength Training and Single Mom

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I am looking for advice on cheap ways to cross train and strength train. I am a single mom of an almost 4 year old and do not have the money to spend on a gym membership as I am an adult college student about to enter the RPN program.

Does any one have ideas about how to cross train and strength train on a budget? Are there other single mothers (parents) on there that have advice on how to get runs in?

• I'm not a single mother, but I may have a few ideas for you. I got them from a friend of mine that is a trainer. I am also working on a speech about this. You may want to use your body weight. Push ups, planks, tricep dips, butt blasters, back extensions, and squats are a few ideas that she gave me. You can use a doorway or a chair to help with stretches. Hopefully this starts you.

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Stephanie W J. said:I'm not a single mother, but I may have a few ideas for you. I got them from a friend of mine that is a trainer. I am also working on a speech about this. You may want to use your body weight. Push ups, planks, tricep dips, butt blasters, bac... read more

Thank you very much for your feedback

posted over 2 years ago

• I think Stephanie is definitely right on. When I work out at home I will often also use a balance ball for strength/balance as well as some of the exercises she listed. If you go online or get Fitness or Runner's World or any magazines like that they very often have great exercises & stretches you can do at home with little or no equipment. As far as fitting runs in, is there anyone with whom you can trade babysitting? Or can your little one ride a bike/scooter while you run? It may be a slow, short run for you, but it could work at least marginally. Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/full-body-bodyweight-workout.html has some body weight exercises that you can do for core. A few dumbells or other small, cheap freeweights will also broaden what you can build on. There are some nice videos of the exercises, so you have an idea what to do.

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Google "turbulence training" and you'll find some good bodyweight workout ideas. And most of these exercises work better than gym machines too.

posted over 2 years ago

• Single dad since my son was 4 now 9. It may seem out of budget today, but get a quality elliptical machine. Mine has paid for itself over time because its sitting there reminding you every day how much you spent and can be used whenever the chance presents itself. Granted it's not as good as some other options, but gyms with child care... add that up over 5 years and you'll see what I mean. Just mix in some stuff others have mentioned and good to go plus school will help in the next years too.

posted over 2 years ago

• Thank you for all of your great ideas and help!! It is greatly appreciated!

posted over 2 years ago

• Hi there! I haven't done it, but have seen some people talking about 'You Are Your Own Gym' (YAYOG)... Do a search, it sounds like it might fit the bill... Best of luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• Single mom, school, and full time work load.... I try to fit my workouts in during the day but when I can't I make up my own... me and the kids will go to a local park and I will do strengh training on the equitment...

posted over 2 years ago