Forums/

Beginner Running

User_avatar Deleted User

Looking for a running program?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I have only been running a week now about 1 mile. I have been athletic all my life and play softball all the time. But this is a lot different. I'm looking for a program that works for me to give me something to shoot for. I'm 40 so not a young pup but this summer maybe a 5k and increase from there.

13 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Look up Halhigdon.com there are good programs there for all distances. Welcome to DM. FR sent

    posted over 2 years ago

  • Welcome, Greg! A fellow 40-yo, here, so I appreciate where you are. I agree with Terry, Hal Higdon has some good programs, and that's what I'm using.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • Welcome Greg! I started running again about a year ago and started with a 5K. Now I am training for a half marathon with the Chicago Marathon on my schedule this October. I turn 48 next Tuesday, so I know you can do it!

    FR sent!

    posted over 2 years ago

  • Welcome to DM Greg. Im 40 and I started running 2 years ago with the mailbox to mailbox method. I recommend using the Hal Higdon 5k plan for beginners. Skip all the speedwork and just concentrate on building a base. Learn to run slow and dont build up mileage to fast. Once you have the base mileage for a 5k then you can work on speed.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what Erik G. said:Welcome to DM Greg. Im 40 and I started running 2 years ago with the mailbox to mailbox method. I recommend using the Hal Higdon 5k plan for beginners. Skip all the speedwork and just concentrate on building a base. Learn to run slow and dont bu... read more

    Thanks, Erik

    I told Terry b that i looked over the Hal HIgdon program and looked like a good place to start. I just want to build up my endurance i don't really care about time right now.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • 'Hi Greg! I'm using an app on my i-phone. Its called "Ease into a 5k", powed my bluefin software. It prompts you when to run and walk. its an 8 week program. Good luck on your running. FR req sent!!

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what Sharon S. said:'Hi Greg! I'm using an app on my i-phone. Its called "Ease into a 5k", powed my bluefin software. It prompts you when to run and walk. its an 8 week program. Good luck on your running. FR req sent!!

    Thank you for your help.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what Mark E. said:Welcome, Greg! A fellow 40-yo, here, so I appreciate where you are. I agree with Terry, Hal Higdon has some good programs, and that's what I'm using.

    Thanks again for all your help today.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • When I began running I used the Nike+ website programs they have, I think they have several levels for starting a 5k. I also used some running playlist from iTunes where a coach will talk you through the beginning of running program from a 5k to 10k and up. Hope this helps you and good luck.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • Greg, let me start by saying 40 is young... really young. I started my training using the Hal Higdon method. That and logging the miles really helped. I would also recommend signing up for a 5k. Set some goals and don't be afraid to walk when you need to.

    Good luck youngster :)

    posted over 2 years ago

  • I started running at 40 as well (2 years ago now) and could barely do a mile without dying. I'll be another to suggest the Hal Higdon programs. Lots of options for whatever your current condition or goal. I admit I didn't follow them terribly well, but used them as general guidelines to keep myself from pushing too much too soon.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what John A. said:I started running at 40 as well (2 years ago now) and could barely do a mile without dying. I'll be another to suggest the Hal Higdon programs. Lots of options for whatever your current condition or goal. I admit I didn't follow them ter... read more

    I started with the 5k on Hal Higdon it gives me something to shoot for. I've only been at it a week and half and know what you mean. I just wanted to get through a mile without dying and did. It took me about 11min lol but not worried about that right now.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • Welcom to DM Greg Friend request has been sent! There are quite a few of us 40+'s here, I myself got into running not too long ago so you've come to the right place

    posted over 2 years ago

Similar Discussions in Running - Beginner Running