Answers/

Beginner Running

What is a good 5k time for a first timer?

asked almost 4 years ago | Report

I'm going to run my first 5K this sunday and was wondering about what the average timing is for most first time runners on a 5k. On my training i'm averaging 34 minutes, i know kinda slow but i been focusing more on making it rather than my timing..lol I started training about 2 months ago.

Thanks Everyone for all the replies, I dont know how to answer after my post, didnt give me that option.

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • My friend is getting ready to run her first one this Sunday and her pace has been about 34:30 or so. I think for your first one, go out, have fun and finish. Let that first race set the bar for your future races. Good luck and have fun1

answered almost 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • 34 sounds pretty good to me. I think my first 5k was 38-39ish!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Just focus on running your own race. There will always be people faster than you, that's what will keep pushing you to improve.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You're time is fine, don't worry about that. Really, don't worry about anything. Go run your race, get the experience and learn from it. After your first 5K you will have that under your belt and you will know what you need to do to improve yourself. Most runners are in the event to beat their own times, not someone else'. But being part of a running community is addictive and you will want to keep on running and improving.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Definitely, 34 Minutes for 5K is a fine pace and its likely you'll find yourself doing slightly better in the race. But, as the others have said... Run it as if you were the only one running, keep your pace and do the best you can. Don't try to run someone else's race.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • What ever pace you are happy with and feel good at. Plus it matters how long you have been running. For me 5k is way different than what I run I did a half and 10k before I ever did a 5k and it sure was not pace running. I pushed past my pace and got a 25 min 5k. So for your first 30 - 35 is good but most likly you will shave off :30 to a min. off your mile pace from training race day is so different and you push a little harder.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Your goal really should just be to have fun and finish with a smile. Don't get carried away at the beginning and stick to your pace, especially for the 1st 2-3k! After that if you feel like it push on.
    Have fun

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running