Answers/

Beginner Running

Pam
Pam Sendmail

Is it ok to run twice a day?

asked over 3 years ago | Report

I have a dear friend who started running because of me. I have now decieded to go for a 1/2 marathon. Now with my training I need to run longer then she can. So my question is would it be ok to run 3 miles with my pal and then run later 5+?

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I think that is totally OK. Sometimes, I cannot find time to do a long run in one shot either, so I break it up and run twice in one day. Just make sure you have enough recovery after the long run day.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Kv
    Kv Sendmail

If I understand the question correctly you're asking if it's ok to run 3 miles say early in the morning, and then get in another 5 later in the day?

If that's the case, I'd agree with Koji in that it's perfectly ok. However, splitting up those 8 miles into two different sessions you're not getting as much out of it as you would be if you had just run 8 miles consecutively. Basically when you split it up you're providing your body time to recover and replenish its stores of glycogen as well as allowing your cardiovascular system to recover. When you run consecutively over long distances you're training your body to operate on less fuel as well as building your aerobic fitness.

Obviously if time is an issue and you can't make the time for a long run, getting it in anyway possible is better than not at all. If I were in your situation, I would find a loop of about four miles, run the first loop with your friend and then allow her to either go home or join you as you keep going.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • since you want to bump up the mileage, running 2 a days are great! be careful not to increase your overall mileage too much too quickly tho. maybe start out with only 3-4 days with two runs? and listen to your body!
    and since you are doing a longer race as your goal, will you also be extending your weekly sunday long run as well? i'd suggest getting in a few long runs before your race, (10-15 miles if possible). if you find that you are able to the race distance or longer in a workout, your confidence level going into your race will be great!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Whether you do the runs back to back or seperated by varying amounts of time, it is all good. The benefits will vary some, but as long as you aren't over doing your mileage too much you'll be fine.
    Good luck and enjoy

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Absolutely. That's a good way to build mileage and endurance. Lots of long distance runners have 2-a-days built into the training schedule for a lot of different reasons and benefits.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • yes you can do it, you just need to be carefull about how fast you increase millage, and as Kv says, be wary about the diminished training effect of breaking a workout into two. A much better approach perhapes is to consider the runs with your friend as a recuperation jog, and then to do your own training seperately, youll probably find your friends pace considerably slower and relaxed for you anyway.,

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Is it "OK" is a different question than "is it beneficial". As long as nothing hurts- it's OK. But it's not beneficial, from a training perspective, unless you're running over 60 miles per week or thereabouts. (according to Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book)

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running