Answers/

Beginner Running

Core workouts-When? How often?

asked almost 6 years ago | Report

I just started running this summer, and did a core workout for the first time this week. I have been so sore I can barely move. I would like to know when you do a core workout:

A. On non-running days
B. After a run

Also, how often do you do a core workout?

I'm trying to figure out how/when to add core, and eventually would like to add yoga. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Edited to add: Thanks Lisa and Chris. I can't figure out how to reply to my own question, so I'm sticking it here! I appreciate the help. That's pretty much how my days go also, but I'd also like to have a general plan. I'll keep it simple and aim for 3 days eventually. Thanks again!

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • You left out an option...
    C. Sometimes on running days and sometimes on no-running days

I have to fit everything in when I can so thus my answer would be c.

It'll get better, you won't hurt as much.

answered almost 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My goal is at least 3 times a week of core training. The more you do it, the less it will hurt. Or, the more you will get use to the hurt.

Like Lisa, I would go with C. Whenever you can fit it in. If you are so exhausted from your run, then wait until your cross training day.

answered almost 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I do my core workout with a stability or Swiss ball. Google either term for some videos of the ball in action. This thing will really kick your you-know-what if you aren't used to it. I though it was kind of sissy but now I am sold, because it works. Oh yeah, and I do lots of planks, too - either on the ball or without.

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The concept of "core training" has become very misleading. If a person is doing pushups or weight training for example, and if they are doing it correctly, they are in fact training their core. Not only that, they are doing it in a more effective way than specific exercises just for the core.

You are not a collection of parts. You are a whole, healthy (hopefully happy) person.

As such, in my opinion, I would look at gearing your training toward functional strength and endurance; that is, you are buidling USABLE strength and endurance. Train the whole body with exercises like deadlifts. Use as Devin mentioned swiss ball, bosu, dyna disks and uneven surfaces -- tools and environments which force the body to engage itself from head to toe. When you are running, you are using the entire body at the same time. No one runs without moving their arms or hips etc. I think the very best training is when the entire body is being trained simultaneously.

Here is an article as it relates to fat loss. . . .

http://ormaninstitute.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/functional-strength-training-and-fat-loss/

Hope this helps. Thanks.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I do pilates 2x/week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and those are also my running days. I typically run in AM, with pilates at lunchtime. And oh yeah, although I have been doing this for over a year, my core - while much stronger - still hurts. A good instructor will keep switching the exercises and target your core from different angles over time.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running