Answers/

Beginner Running

How long do shin splints usualy take to heal?

asked over 4 years ago | Report

And what is the best treatment? Icing? I am a newbie!

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • The best cure for shin splints is time. Though if you want to stay active, I suggest heating the leg muscle with a hot water bottle and then massaging. Taping the leg can also help. Just don't push yourself too hard until it's all better. Hope this helps.

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The major pain took a few weeks to subside for me with me backing off on my mileage substantially. It took a total of 2 months to feel normal again. After at least a few days of rest, I strongly suggest starting to strengthen your Anterior Tibialus muscle (the one that runs parallel beside your tibia). If the muscle is weak it can be a cause for the shin splints.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hi Andrea,

I used to get shin splints after a half a mile of running. I took a running workshop to work on my gait and I can run for miles without any pain at all now. I feel like maybe we all start running because we assume that since we have been running since childhood and we have these expensive shoes that we know what we are doing, but we don't and these big expensive shoes don't help. Maybe a running workshop or work with a running coach is something to look into? Other than that, heat before ice after and don't push it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • heat before, ice after, toe taps while sitting at a desk to improve the muscle on the front of your shin. take 3 days off when it gets bad. stretch your calves and flex your foot.

almost every beginning runner gets this. landing on the heel with a big padded shoe can be part of the cause as Tav said. sometimes it seems your body simply needs to adapt.

good luck.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had this a few times before. I just rested for about a week. Tried taping but it didn't help. I found out that the most helpful (for me) to avoid shin splints were the following: (1) adequate stretching of the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles (using 2 different lunge-like routines --> simple but hard to explain here; but you can search online how it is done); and (2) strengthening of the soleus muscles(by simply raising myself on tiptoes several times).

I hope you heal soon!

answered over 4 years ago |edited over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm a newbie too but my husband is a big runner and also a physician. I was getting shin splints and he said I should point my toes in slightly when I run. It felt akward at first but now I do it without thinking. It cured my shin splints in 2 days and I've not had a problem ever since. Try it.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I got these awhile back as I was increasing my speed. I took a couple days a week and did deep water jogging, along with icing my shins and exercises to strengthen my tibalis anterior (shin). I did this for a couple of weeks and just made sure not to push myself too much, as I was training for a half marathon a month later. No more pain, but continue to throw in deep water jogging every so often and continue shin strengthening.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running