Answers/

Beginner Running

Liz
Liz Sendmail

Under Arm Chaffing Remedies?

asked about 5 years ago | Report

Hi all! I am fairly new to running (and I love it!!!) but when I go all out for a run, I get chaffed from my arms rubbing on my shirt or sports bra. Anyone have any good ways to combat this and stay comfortable?

Thanks!
Liz

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • When I first started running earlier in the year, I had that problem with my thighs. I found a thin spread of Vaseline on the skin helped. There is also BodyGlide, but find Vaseline is readily available in most places. ;)

answered about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • not sure you can get it there but my wife swears by pawpaw ointment for chafing

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I chafe between the thighs so I use BodyGlide which works well.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to get this while on long runs with my T-shirt rubbing near the underarms. Started using vaseline/bioline. Just before the run u apply sparingly and run. Wherever u feel there is a tendency of your clothing trying to rub the skin u can apply vaseline just before the run. This is sufficient to prevent chaffing and stay comfortable during your runs.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I second (or third!) the Bodyglide recommendation. Also - take a look at your clothing: is there a seam or other rough spot on your shirts or bra that could be the cause? I have one sleeveless shirt that has a thick sideseam at the underarm "cuff" that rubs me raw on longer runs. Now, when I buy new clothing, I look out for this type of problem. Big, baggy t-shirts, where the armhole hangs too low, could also cause chafing.

Good luck!

answered about 5 years ago |edited about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to have this problem with my thighs, and I used Body Glide. The stuff looks like and applies the same as a deodorant. The chaffing stopped immediately so it worked pretty well.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Body Glide and eliminate cotton from your running wardrobe! Cotton absorbs moisture and this will increase chafing--

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running