Answers/

Beginner Running

Coughing after a run ?

asked about 5 years ago | Report

Hi Guys,

I'm new in running... ( and exercices in general )...
today, i run a ~5km ( well, i walked about 1/3 or 1/4 of it ... )

( http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=runners,runs,1142290929,runID,67769486 )

( http://dailymile.com/e/1fv1 )

When i stop running ( when i walk or when i'm done ), i cough... and i have to spit some mucus ( spitting occurs when i run too... )

I cough for like 15 or 20 minutes... It's not very intense... but i wonder if it's a problem... Could it be asthma ? I'm 28 years old and never had asthma symptoms... Exercise induced asthma ?

Also, i can't believe it could be allergy since i never had any allergy symptoms before in my life :)

Thanks for your help :)

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • It happens to me often. I cough more after my runs when the weather starts to turn cooler. I never cough anything up with it though. A physician friend of mine called it Exercise induced bronchospasm. It never was a big deal to me. I would some times use a inhaler after a race and it would usually stop the coughing. It was suggested to use it before a race as well, but I understand that all inhalers will raise heart rate, and I would rather not have a higher heart rate during a race than I need to. Since it only lasts for about 20 mins at most, a lot of times I just put up with it.

answered about 5 years ago |edited about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Keep an eye on it and if you're worried do go see a doctor. However, I used to have the same problem. After a hard workout (where I got my lungs working) I'd spend 10-15 minutes coughing on and off, a lot like you describe. My old Karate instructor said it was just my body clearing all the crap out of my lungs which had built up in there through lack of use.

Anyway as my fitness got better the coughing stopped. These days after a good blow I might have a couple of coughs and I'm fine.

The other thing to watch is sometimes mucus can build up in your mouth and sit in your throat, sort of like sweat on the inside of your mouth. When you're breathing hard some of that will be pulled down into your lungs and have to be pulled out. You see some runners discretely spit it out from time to time. A bit gross I know but if it continues happening you might just be one of those people that has to deal with it one way or another.

answered about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It sounds like you are having some bronchospasm with a productive cough post running. This may be exertional asthma. I assume the sputum you spit out is white and not green or rust colored. Yes, you may have an allergic component as well.

The bottom line here is you need to see a physician. Asthma is a potentially serious condition and if you do have it you need to control it. As a medical professional I strongly suggest you GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm a new runner myself and I noticed that often after running I would have sneeze attacks....like 3/4 sneezes back to back through out the evening after my run into the next day. The symptoms would lessen after a few days, but the next run another sneeze attack. It was quite funny because I'm thinking can I really be allergic to exercise??? I made an appointment with my doctor and as Ron L said there is a such thing as exercise induced allergies in my case rhinitis. My doc said she experiences the same thing, but with hives. She recommended that I take and antihistamine...pretty much treat it like any other allergy. Why this happens is a mystery I'd still like to find out.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • "Coughing"

Just my opinion & what I have found in my research...

too much mucus~ can come from a diet rich in dairy

I changed my lifestyle 180 degrees 5 years ago to a "nutrient
    rich plant-based diet"... HUGE difference in every area.

Biggest change was "mucus". I didn't have it any more
    after about a month into the lifestyle change.

Bottom line~ your lungs are getting rid of it because it is
    in there. Question~ why is it in there? How do you get it
    out & keep it out? Is the running allowing your lungs to
    clean themselves out?

I try & look for the source. I don't just look at the symptom.
    I have found COVERING up the issues don't get rid of them.

Keep looking & asking to find out the answer for you. You
    can find it. I am a great example of that! You really can. :o)
    Be encouraged.

Running Healthy~
    Chari

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running