Answers/

Beginner Running

Getting back into running ,and very out of shape.

asked over 5 years ago | Report

Ok I used to run 5 miles every day no problem now I am 45 pounds heavier and no energy where do I start?
Running cured my asthma before or it made my lungs alot stronger but its back now.Do I start on the treadmill or kick the bricks again slow and steady?

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Either one will work just fine. Start with what makes you feel good. Just start! You will be in shape in no time. Especially if you keep coming to this site. Lots of motivating people here!!

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I would start out by walking "like your late to pick up your paycheck" for a mile or so. Then gradually work up to 2 miles, then start to jog a half mile then walk the rest and increase until your jogging the whole 2 miles. Then you can start to run. Its a slow gradual process and diet improvement is 70 percent of weight loss especially in the first 2 months. It was for me. So walk, jog, run and improve your diet starting yesterday would be good. Clem :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • What I did was just walk until I was walking 30 minutes at a time comfortably several times a week. Then I started the Couch to 5k program (http://www.c25k.com). It starts you at run/walk intervals and 9 wks later you are able to run 30 minutes or 5k, depending on how your approach it.

Chances are once you start getting into a regular exercise routine you energy level will improve.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The hardest step is the first one. Just do it! If it's been a while I'd recommend starting slow, adding no more than 10% more per week, & may even want to talk to your doc first & get a check-up to make sure you're good to go. And, shoes, might need some new ones since you've probably used the old ones for everything but running & they'll end up hurting you if you don't replace them.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I got back on track after 15 years away by starting with 3 things. Of course stay motivated with research like google running, (I like) Mens Health magazine, running buddy. I recommend Mimi's post also.
    1. A run/walk program. Keep it simple but stick to it. I use step counts to measure approx distance. 4 steps = 1 count. i did 25 counts running and walked till I was ready to run again. The starting course was 2 miles - 1 out, 1 back.
    2. Journal. keep track of everything. distance, time to complete, how you felt, number of runs, etc.
    3. Set weekly goals. Keep in mind that you want to improve. so overcoming bad running habits is important. put off the urge to blow off a daily routine (go even if you must walk the whole distance), The second wind is just around the corner, so keep running as far as possible with each circuit - even if it's a single count.

Good luck.

answered over 5 years ago |edited over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Request sent. I used to run 5 mi/day too! Let's do this!!

Just get moving and keep moving :D

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I hadn't ran in 8 years and had gained 90 lbs. And it frustrated me that everytime I tried to run I wasn't running like I used too. So I would always give up. This website really got me back into it, i would share my running on my facebook, and really looked at it as an accountability partner. The people here are great, they have helped me with running, motivation and injuries.

I would start with run/walk intervals. The couch to 5k program does work.

Also set a goal for yourself, if you can lose this much weight or run this half marathon, then you can get that ipad or whatever it is.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running