Answers/

Beginner Running

User_avatar Deleted User

Drinking water while running

asked over 5 years ago | Report

How much - if anything - do you drink when you run? I have a tendency to not drink anything, which I know is not good, but then if I were to bring something with me I've (a) gotta tote something around, and (b) how do you determine how much to drink? Any thoughts/suggestions - is there a right "ratio" to pay attention to?

26 answers

scroll to bottom
  • There's basically 3 ways you can carry your water when you run. In your hand (hand held water bottles), around your waist (waist belt, like a fanny pack with water bottle holders) or on your back (camelback). Just depends on how long you will be out running. If you don't usually go more than 10 miles I would suggest the waist or handheld. If you are going out for real long runs than maybe a camelback. I usually just drink every 15 minutes or so. I'm not sure there is a right ratio. Just try to stay hydrated. Good luck.

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have the fanny pack with water bottle holder. My husband and kids say it looks uncool. But even on short runs I need water! Wouldn't be out without it. Especially in the heat. I do see runners out without water bottles. Dont' know how they do it. As to how much, your body will decide. Depends on weather big time!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I hold a water bottle in my hand, I just use it to take small sips from time to time. If I drink too much I'll get side stitches, but I need to have water with me I really don't understand how people can run without any water. Sometimes gets annoying to have to hold it during long runs but I've done it so long I'm used to it by now.

I think most runner's prefer the waist packs but I just wont spend money on one when I can hold a water bottle in my hand.

Whatever you decide to do, don't try it out during a race. That's not the right time to try something new, let your body have time to get used to the new habit. :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I hate having to hold a water bottle and run. What makes it really easy is to run a loop....so if you need to run 15 miles. Run a 5mi loop and drop a water bottle behind some bush along the way. That way you get water every 5mi (or more if you want) and dont have to hold it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have the simplest Camelbak they made 5 years ago. The reservoir tank is removable, so I actually carry it with me when I go backpacking too.

On long runs, it's nothing for me to drink the whole 1.5 liters and have to stop for more water along the way.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I run with a Fuel Belt (worth googling). Similar to yourself I don't feel like I really need water but I have noticed an improvement with how refreshed I feel after a run now having incorporated drinking into my routine. I have two bottles and will usually finish them by the end of my 7km run (keep in mind I'm in about 85% humidity at about 35 degrees Celsius / 95 Farenheit).

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I take a bottle of water and put a few holes in the top with a thumbtack so it is very convenient to drink. That is only for longer runs though

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I generally only carry water if I think I'm going to be going longer than 45 minutes or if the weather is hot. I use a handheld called Fast Draw Plus by Ultimate Direction (http://www.ultimatedirection.com/product.php?id=12&page=handhelds). The good thing about it is that I can just strap it onto my hand so I don't need to actually grip it. I wouldn't be able to just hold a regular water bottle b/c my hand gets all sweaty. Actually I do kind of wish I had gotten the Fast Draw Extreme (http://www.ultimatedirection.com/product.php?id=73&page=handhelds) b/c I think the neoprene would help with the sweaty palm issue. Also would protect against water that is too cold. I once went running with a bottle filled with ice water. That was a mistake as it made my hand too cold. The first time I went out with the Fast Draw Plus, I carried it in my right hand and it just felt all wrong. Next time I carried it with my left hand and it was so much better.

Haven't given much thought to if I'm drinking enough or not.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Was poking around the Ultimate Direction site and found this page called hydration tips. http://www.ultimatedirection.com/res.hydra.html

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I run with a Fuel Belt waist belt. It holds 4 bottles and has a pouch for gels, sports beans and another smaller pouch for keys. The bottle sizes are upgradeable. I do a lot of 16-20 mile long distance training runs in the months before a Half or Full marathon and have found that 2 10 ounce bottles in the front holders works best for me with two 8 ounce bottles in the rear with the gel pouch. That way everything stays evenly balanced and you have enough water to run with. The bottles are curved so as to not dig into your sides while running and the front two bottle pockets have elastic "keeper cords" to secure the bottles. The caps are the pop up type and are user friendly. This type of belt is much better balanced than the brooks mega bottle or the camel back. But to each their own.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The rule is to drink whenever you feel thirsty and if before a run, drink 12oz of water or sports drink (like Gatorade, Powerade, etc) 30 minutes before your run. Take sips every 10min, not gulps so it doesn't slush around in your stomach causing gas, or any abdominal discomfort.

For short runs <9mi - I used Amphipod Handheld
    http://www.amphipod.com/380/380.html
    Or don't take anything if I'm feeling lazy to carry one, I drink from water fountains as I pass them.

For long runs 12mi> - I use Fuel Belt
    http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/6_bottle.html

EDIT: I now use Nathan Speed 4 belt on my longer runs. =)
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NS4P.html

answered over 5 years ago |edited about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I HATE carrying water, it is cumbersome and it disrupts my rhythm. I like to drink water before I leave and then I pick routes that I know have water fountains. Most parks and schools have water fountains outside. It also motivates me to go faster when I know there is water up ahead.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It really depends on the temps and the distance of the run. An absolute must while doing a long run. If you're on a short 3 mile run and the temps are not to high then if you hydrate before the run you sould be okay. Any longer than that you should plan on bringing some water. There are water bottle carrierers that fit nicely in your grip plus it can hold your car keys. When you need more water on a long training run (10+) then the belt is the way to go. Happy running!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When I go on long runs, I have to run with fuel belt. Its a pain but Ive gotten use to it. On Saturday we ran 12 miles, I carried 6 bottles and still ran out. I take a few sips every 10 min or so. Where I live its so hot, humid and you sweat alot so hydration is very important. Just listen to your body.

answered about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've seen this and, from my recollection, it's like 5-8oz every 15mins. I know someone provided a website so that likely has it broken down per pound body weight so you can do the math. Outdoor temps make a difference as well.

Personally, I like the Nathan brand from runs greater than 10 or 12mi. They make a waist belt where the water bottle holder is angulated making it easier to remove and replace. Less than that, I'll hydrate before and after the run. Long runs where there will be no available water other than what I carry I'll take my Camelbak.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I never drink or carry water when I run. Mainly because I know I wont run anything past 8 miles. I find that if I drink enough fluids the night before and when I wake up. It keeps me well hydrated for my morning run. If I drink enough fluids throughout the day, it keeps me well hydrated for my afternoon runs.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I wear a fanny pack and take a sip about every 1/2-mile (at my pace, that is about once evry 5 minutes). my pack holds 3/4 liter which lasts about 5 miles. for my runs longer than 5 miles, i make sure i am near fountains to refill the fanny-pack.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Good question. It's personal preference really and depends on the distance you are running. I only race up to 10km and train up to 15km so rarely take water during running, but make sure I drink 250ml each quarter hour once I return for a few hours until I've had a couple of litres of water.

If you are running over 10km, or for more than an hour, it is adviseable to sip regularly during that time. Perhaps, know where the taps/water fountains are on your running route so you dont need to carry anything.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Don't mess with water bottles! I don't even like car keys or cell phones in my pockets while I'm running. I drink a bunch before I go out and if it's hot I make sure there's a water fountain on my route.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Like some other people I disdain carrying anything or having anything attached to me while running. It's probably a good idea to drink something 15 to 30 minutes before you go out. And replenish when you return. Anything under 5 miles and you probably don't need water along the way. For longer runs maybe you can loop back to your house (or car, or another water store). Good luck. Chris Kelley Framingham.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • In most races the frequecy of water station is every 2.5 km. So maybe try running and drinking the same frequency. It is said that thirst is the good sign that you need water :) Your body will get used to it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm going to go far against the grain and say you don't really need water during a run, despite the prevailing wisdom. Most people that drink water while running would probably have a problem going without it because they're used to it, but on the same note, you can train your body and mind to go without water too. I only have water when going on long runs, and even in Arizona's 100+ degree heat, I can make it about 10 miles without any. In cooler weather, I can make it 15-20 miles without any.

Now, this is not to say I'm recommending these mileages specifically, because I don't know you specifically. Certainly others would have trouble doing what I do, even with training. But it is certainly possible to tolerate a dry mouth for a while without hurting yourself. Just make sure you're well hydrated all day, before the run, and rehydrate afterwords.

Just don't feel like not drinking during a run is some cardinal sin. I suspect the sports drink makers have probably taught us about the "ideal" amount of water during exercise a little more than we realize. It may not be a bad idea to drink something during a run if you enjoy your runs better that way, but it's good to recognize that going without isn't so bad if you're just careful about it. Once again, don't take this as any sort of medical advice, but you should be able to figure out what works for you, even if it isn't drinking during a run.

answered about 5 years ago |edited about 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think drinking is not good while running.if you are very much thirsty then you may drink a very little water.Drinking water after running is quite good for health rather than drinking in between.

Regards,
    http://www.medexpressrx.com

answered over 3 years ago |edited over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Get a bottle that straps to your hand like a bottle from Ultimate Direction and take a sip every 10 minutes or so. If your runs aren't too long, you will be fine with a 16-20 ounce bottle. That's about what I take in for a 2 hour run.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • www.coogishoeschina.com wholesale urban chlothing Christian Audigier,Coogi,Ed hardy,Diesel,Lacoste,Armani Tee Shirts Shirts cheap Ralph Lauren,Abercrombie Fitch,BBC,Burberry,Gucci,Blar Label Tee Shirts Shirts discount Polo,Smet,Crown Holder,Dolce Gabbana,Evisu,G-Star,Affliction hip hop Tee Shirts Shirts...Cheap Sione Island Smet Mens T-shirts
    Our website: www.coogishoeschina.com

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The best advice I can give is 'drink to thirst'.

Everyone is different. I don't take any water for runs less than 10 miles, and sometimes I'll go 12 without water. I _do_ make an intentional effort to hydrate very well before a run like that unless it is in the early morning.

I also think you can train yourself to run longer distances without water, but it varies so much by the individual, and of course the heat and humidity. I'll typically lose 5 lbs of sweat on an 8-miler at lunch time (lost 6 today), but I don't feel bad. I just make sure I replenish afterwards.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running