Answers/

Beginner Running

15K training in just over a month?

asked over 5 years ago | Report

I've run at most 5 miles in one workout but nothing more than that.I learned about a 5K and 15K event - and almost signed up for the 5K, but really considering the 15K. Am I giving myself enough training time? I just want to finish it, hopefully not walking to the finish line.

2 answers

scroll to bottom
  • When did you run the 5 miles? If it was recently, I'd say you may be able to pull it off.

I'd get a training plan (or make one up) doing one long run a week. Start at 5 miles, and try to increase the long run distance slowly (maybe a mile a week). So next week would be 6 miles, week 3 would be 7 miles, week 4 would be 8 miles (assuming you have that much time?). Then the last week before the race, don't do a long run, and decrease your mileage slightly.

You really only need to be at 80% of the distance by the time of the race, which would be about 7.5 miles. I'd say it's doable. Go for it! :)

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Is this your first race? If so I want to give you some advice I learned the hard way. When the race starts make sure you keep to the pace that you are comfortable with. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment and run to fast. If you decide to do the 15k and you have to walk don't be hard on yourself!! Walking is not defeat. Defeat is not trying at all. What ever you decide good luck and keep with it. Your worth it.

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running