Answers/

Beginner Running

best way to carry water?

asked over 5 years ago | Report

I am new to running, and training for a marathon. I don't need water for runs under 1 hour, but do need it when doing one long run each week to build endurance. Wondering what the best way to carry water for these long runs. Belt, camelback, handheld? Specific brands you like? Thanks.

8 answers

scroll to bottom
  • For myself I like the fanny pack that carries a water bottle. As far as specific brands go I don't have a favorite. My first one the bottle is upright and it's very compact. At first I hated it, but after I got used to it I wouldn't have it any other way on a long run. My wife got me one from Target last year thaty only cost $19.99. The bottle lays down and it's very easy to get to, plus it has plenty of room for gels, etc.

As far as camelbacks go = I don't think I need that much water in a long-run, but that's just me. I also have ahandheld, but I like my hands free. I used it once for 8-miles, but I said then I would never do that again. I don't like to hold something. hey also make a belt like you mention, but I've never tried them. I hope you find what you are looking for, and God Bless All Your Training. God Bless "You & Your-Fasmily" too is my PRAYER.... +
    JJ.... ( : I'm no expert, but that's my opinions. Have a Great-Evening".... +

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I just carry a cheap, clear water bottle with me in my hands and refill it along my routes. In the past, I've dropped off water bottles ahead of time along strategic points on my route; but I found this was more hassle than its worth. For sunny weather, I'm thinking a bottle that has a sleeve with a hand belt (so it won't slip off your hand) will help keep the water cooler longer. I saw a lady friend of mine with one, but I'm not sure where she found hers. I've tried camel backs and while their fine for a hike or walk, would never run with one again. It caused friction burns on my shoulders/back and made it hotter than I liked. One other option is to run at a park that has drinking fountains, preferably a park that has a circular running path. Best of luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Joe
    Joe Sendmail

I use a four 8 oz. bottle hydration belt. I prefer the smaller bottles over belts that carry a single large bottle. The Velcro waist strap on mine gave way (no longer sticks) after a year of use.

answered over 5 years ago |edited over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've tried most of the water solutions, and it usually comes down to personal preference. Perhaps the best way is to try things out until you find something that works. Here are some different things that you might try, in generally increasing order of cost.

1. As mentioned before, a disposable plastic bottle.
    2. A bottle with a hand strap, such as this: http://www.ultimatedirection.com/product.php?id=12&page=handhelds
    3. A single bottle waist pack, there are many available but I would recommend trying them on at the store, some fit better than others for running.
    4. Fuel belt makes smaller bottles that some like because of their even distribution: http://www.fuelbelt.com/
    5. If you must wear a camelback, I would recommend Nathan packs, they seem to be better designed for running. Many other ones seem to bounce around too much: http://www.nathansports.com/our_products/hydration_nutrition/race_vests.html

Camelbacks probably aren't needed unless you're going so long you actually need to carry more stuff. Same for the two bottle packs, you probably don't need that much water unless you're going pretty long without being able to fill up. If you have runner friends with some of this gear, it might be best just to borrow it and try it out.

Personally, I try to plan drinking fountains into my route as I feel lighter and faster without water. If I need to carry it, I prefer hand bottles to anything else as I don't like things around my waist or body, but plenty of other people would rather have their hands free. I don't have a particular brand loyalty, although some companies seem to make better products for running (some of them I mentioned). Hope this helps!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have tried waist belts never could get used to them. I use the Ultimate Direction FastDraw Extreme...great and comfortable.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I like my Camelbak, but that's because I drink a lot of water, as I am running in temperatures of 90+. I'd rather carry enough water than get thirsty and / or dehydrated.

For a short run I usually just carry a throw away bottle. I strap it to my hand with an elasticated hairband so I don't have to grip it tightly.

I also have a belt with a bottle that is for hiking, but is ok for road running. It tends to bounce about to much for trail running.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Rob
    Rob Sendmail

For my long runs, I run a regular route, so placing 16 oz. water bottles along the way is easiest for me. 2 or 3 steps into the pines usually does it...
    I did some research a year ago before deciding to go "low tech" and I really liked the Fuel Belt. It seemed to be the most versatile with ability to carry different amounts of fluid, integrated pouch, lightweight, breathability, etc. Can't beat it for under $40...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have been using an Amphipod pack for about a year and I love it.
    http://www.amphipod.com/335/335.html
    It's a single 20 oz. bottle so for my longer runs I hide water or sports drinks along my route to refill the bottle.
    Packs like this usually have a small pocket for a phone, mp3, ID, gels, etc. The Amphipod line has add-ons that you can buy for extra storage.
    I'd suggest trying the various products that are available at your local retailer to see what you like best. Wear your running clothes so you get an accurate fit and feel.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running