Answers/

Beginner Running

scared of week 5 of my c25k training.. any advice on how to tackle week 5?

asked almost 5 years ago | Report

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I had to repeat week 5 and I'm sure a lot of other people did as well. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to get it right the first time. Once you hit 20 minutes you will be running twice that before you know it. In the grand scheme of things whether it takes you 1 week or 2 doesn't really matter much.

Also, make sure to drink enough water. I was a little dehydrated when I headed out for my first attempt and that made it tougher than it had to be.

answered almost 5 years ago |edited almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I was also intimidated by week 5! I did do it for two weeks though and today I will move on to week 6. A cross country coach just said go as slow as you need to so I did and I made it.
    I had never ran before I started the 5K101 program, I am 50 years old, so if I can do it you can! You will do fine! : )

answered almost 5 years ago |edited almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think the important this to remember is to take it slow. There is no need to try and hit record miles in 20 minutes. I have never done the C25K program before, but I have done other running programs. When I get to a day where I have to run a scary amount of milage (to me) I take it slow.

answered almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • as they all said...slow!!

I know a few of the C25K programs are different but I am pretty sure that if you count up the 'actual minutes run' in the Week 4 days and then add up the 'actual minutes run' at the beginning of Week 5....you ran more minutes at the end of Week 4 than you will at the beginning of Week 5.

The fact that they are broken up by more walk breaks is immaterial....you still ran 16 mins!!
    The only reason everyone freaks out is because at the end of the week it says "Run 20 mins" and everyone says "I cant run for 20 mins, I am not a runner" Wake up Jake....you are a runner!! and you are going to be fine.

I think a lot of people repeat this week (I did) but I do think that this is a huge milestone, when you can run for 20 mins, you can build on that.
    But please keep it slow and if you need to walk for 30 secs....so what?? You will talk to Marathoners that stop and walk through aid stations as a walk break!!

You are doing fantastic...all of you and this is just the beginning.
    P.S Personally I thought it was easier to run 20 mins straight than to keep stopping!!! (But I was freaking out too)!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • They have all said it but Yes, go at a slower pace if you need to. I just finished c25k a couple weeks ago and I remember being so scared of week 5. When I got to a point that I wanted to walk I just went a little slower but kept at slow jog and put on my favorite song on Ipod.

Whatever happens with that first attempt, it is a success because you are out there and will do it again. I also agree that after getting thru that first 20 min, I didn't want to go back to the intervals because didn't like the starting and stopping. Good Luck!!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running