Answers/

Beginner Running

Just re-started running, I am so unmotivated sometimes, any tips or tricks that help you get out there?

asked over 4 years ago | Report

After a long hiatus, I'm trying to get back into it this year, but I just can't be bothered sometimes. What are your routines or tricks that help you get out there and running?

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Hey there Phil, when I first started C25K 5 weeks ago I was totally unmotivated to run. I just didn't find it fun! Now I love it. But on those days when I just couldn't fathom going outside for a run, what I did was this: I put on my shoes and gear, telling myself I was just going outside for a walk, nothing more. As I started walking outside for a few minutes, I'd tell myself, okay, you can jog now. Before you know it, your workout is over and you realize it wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be and that you feel SO MUCH BETTER than if you didn't run at all.

Good luck getting back into it and KEEP AT IT. Celebrate the little victories to get your motivation up along the way!

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use a calendar on the refrigerator and write out my planned workouts for the next week, including time of day, just like I would a meeting for work. (If I need to tweak the schedule during the week to deal with changes in work/kid schedules, I write in the changes.)

I put out my running clothes before I go to bed. If I'm heading for the gym, I pack the bag the night before. I minimize the logistics that I have turned into excuses not to do the workout. And, since my husband is up early also, if my clothes are out, he knows I'm supposed to run & he'll ask why I'm not getting up.

I've decided it's not optional to not schedule me into MY life. I always feel better after I've started - it's the getting out of bed & putting on my running clothes that stops me, so I make it harder to make up excuses.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Put your running clothes on. Seriously. Sometimes that's all it takes to mentally shift gears. If that doesn't work, give yourself permission to go just one mile and stop if you want to. You probably won't want to.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Find a running buddy! The c25k works really well too because you don't feel overwhelmed or like you can't do it.

When running with a friend, you are accountable to be there because another person is expecting you to be and vise versa.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running