Answers/

Beginner Running

Running outside in cold around burning fireplaces

asked almost 6 years ago | Report

I'm a beginner and love to run outside. Not so much a fan of the treadmill. I live in an apartment and run in a highly residential area. When the weather turns cooler, fireplace use is pretty heavy where I run. I've noticed that my lungs are not a fan of the smoke. Any suggestions to reduce discomfort? WIll it improve if I just suck it up and press on?

3 answers

scroll to bottom
  • if your lungs are hurt by the smoke then I'd find another route but it if is from running it maybe you're running too hard. do you train with a heart rate monitor?

answered almost 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Are you normally that sensitive to smoke? I find it odd that the fireplaces are causing you the discomfort, but it's not impossible. You know it does take a while to get used to cold air running, and you mention that you are a beginner. I'd recommend a nice warm hat and neck gaiter. Smartwool makes a neck gaiter that I LOVE! You can pull it up over your mouth and it warms the air up a bit as you breath, that may help a bit. You probably wont be able to run that way constantly, as it does restrict air flow. Also, if you are like me and wear glasses it may fog up your lenses a bit too. But what I love about it is that you can just pull it up and down throughout the run when you need it, and it also helps keep your neck toasty warm. The smartwool cuffed beanie cap makes a great set.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I hate woodsmoke, too. But I just keep running. I doubt it's very harmful as diluted as it is. But it still sucks. Try another venue to run (a park? or a trail?) nearby that has a lower population density.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running