Answers/

Beginner Running

New Runner with Achy Hips

asked almost 2 years ago | Report

Just wondering if it's just me or is it typical for a first time runner to experience achy hips. I just started training for a 1/2 Marathon a week ago today. A couple of days ago my hips started aching. My right more than the left. I was wondering if this is typical with a new runner or have I injured myself?

8 answers

scroll to bottom
  • welcome to DM. Could be due to the increased mileage. I had something similar when I increased by distance from 5k - 10k. take it steady and try not to increase your distances too quickly.

answered almost 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I am still a newbie, but I also had hip pain when I first started running. I ended up looking on line for stretches for my hips. It seemed to make a big difference to me when I did the stretches before running. I also noticed that after a couple of months of running I don't even notice it anymore. Good luck on your training!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You might try exercises to strengthen your hips and glutes. Weak glutes are pretty common. I used to get a lot of hip pain, but now I do a series of strength exercises before every run and it has made a world of difference.
    Here's a couple references and demonstrations:
    http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/
    On this page, look for the links to the Myrtl routine and the lunge matrix, under the heading "Dynamic Warm-ups and Warm-Downs"
    http://strengthrunning.com/2010/05/elite-core-and-dynamic-warm-ups-a-comprehensive-guide/

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It could also be your shoes. When I first started running, without knowing any better I was in a stability shoe and they were making my knees and my hips really wonky.

But mileage and strength training (or even cross training for that matter) shouldn't be overlooked either.

Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hi Tina! Welcome to dailymile! Stretching helps as does weight training doing abductor, adductor exercises as well as squats and lunges. This is not uncommon, but you definitely need to pay attention. Massages also help. If you strengthen your glutes, that helps. Good fitting shoes are a must. Try to slow down a bit for your longer runs and see if it helps! Your time for your first half marathon is not a big deal at all - you will get to know your body and know more for the next one!!!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had similar issues when I first started adding lots of mileage. The foam roller really helped me manage this and then eliminate the pain. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9911

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When I first started doing longer mileage I had some hip pain as well, and generally always on only one side, too. I think it was due to muscle imbalance (one side being stronger than the other) causing I.T. band strain. Focusing on taking much shorter strides helped me (less bouncing and side-to-side hip motion). As I got accustomed to longer mileage the hip bothered me less and less, so I think over time my muscles learned to cooperate with me better.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • you're not the only one. ;) A few things that worked for me.
    1. don't stretch your hips. it just loosens them up and you don't need hip flexibility to run.
    2. Do hip strength exercises. Any and all. Tighten them hips up.
    3. big steps with heal striking is harder on the hips. go to Jog.FM or download cadenceFM app and run to a playlist of 180bpm. Upping your cadence to 180 steps per minute will get your legs under you, be more efficient, and drastically reduce the shock on your hips. Feels strange at first... but trust me.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running