Answers/

Beginner Running

How do I figure out my pace per mile while I'm running?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

Okay, newbie question. I see a lot of people talking about their pace per mile during their runs. How are they figuring this out? Are they wearing a GPS watch (which I don't have)? Is there another way to figure this out while I'm running?

If GPS is the way to go, what's a good watch that won't break the bank?

Thanks!!

15 answers

scroll to bottom
  • probably using GPS watches unless they are running on a marked path or track (or know the route very very well). I like the gps but don't know that I really need to know my pace per mile (or that very second)

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Everyone does it differently - A lot of people do have GPS watches - the really hardcore people I know have Garmins, but I think those are multiple hundreds of dollars.

Personally I use Nike+ - It's an app you can download if you have an iPhone. You do have to buy a little "chip" to put on your shoe for it, but I think that was like... $30? Maybe $50? It tracks me via GPS, plots out my running routes, provides all my stats, and lots of charts/graphs etc...

Just look around, there are a few options out there. Partly it depends on what you already have (iPhone/iPod? Etc)

Or you could do it the old-school way and just run routes for which you know the distance, and time yourself.

Also, I know there are websites where you can figure out how long certain routes are. I think mapmyrun is one, but I've never used it. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a Garmin 205 - they are generally around $150 (I got mine for $100). There are also plenty of smartphone apps that work decently.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I got my Garmin 405 for $150 at WalMart.com. I love it, but there are lots of free apps that work, too.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use an app on my iphone that tracks your mileage, pace, etc.. I use Walkmeter, MapMyRun, and/or Active.com's 5k-10K program at the moment. :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to map my runs with DM the old fashioned way. Then when I posted my time, DM would spit out the pace for me. It's primitive, but it works! With enough experience, you'll have a good idea of your pace just based on the way you feel, but GPS is the only way I know of pace measurment while actually running...uhh actually you can use your smartphone too with less accurate results....and lots of time recharging your phone! I got my Garmin 205 new on Amazon a year ago for $117. They're $140 now. If you want heartrate then you need 305 or something different for more money. If you have an index finger and a carotid pulse, you can figure your heartrate like I do and save some money! I love my GPS. It's a great training tool for all endurance athletes and worth the money if you're serious about running.

answered about 2 years ago |edited about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use ismooth run App for iPhone. Cost $4.99 and I can set the audio to receive feedback in time or distance intervals. This helps me either slow down or speed up based upon the feedback and how my body feels. I wear it in a Spiebelt, don't even feel it and I can track my run, listen to my Rock my Run mixes, and updoad directly to Dailymile with one device. I love it affordable, accurate and easy.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The old school way would be to map out your run beforehand so you know the distance and then take note of the time you leave and the time you get back. If you enter the amount of time it took you to run a distance (e.g. 45 minutes), Daily Mile will calculate your pace per mile for you.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a garmin! The 205 I believe! I bought it used, from craigslist, for $64! Brandnew it's around $200. :) Shop around and you can find a great deal! :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I always go old school. I measure my courses and use my Timex Watch with a 30/lap timer. I can post it here or any site that allows me to get my pace. but mostly 've ran so many miles through the years it doesn't take long to look at my overall time, and quickly figure out what my pace is.

I've heard so many times that GPS is awesome, but I've just never got one. Good luck with your training. God Bless..+ Jimmy. ( =

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I run with the Adidas MiCoach program on my phone. It breaks down the run in to miles and tells me my pace as I run. You can even set it up for specific goals and it will create a custom training schedule built around your current abilities and your long term goals.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • we use Runkeeper with for Android, but it is erratic for current pace. Cumulative pace is ok. We get reports every half mile, so I check my watch to see if over/under 5 minutes splits.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I started out using the MapMyRun app for android. Works well, but is only good for total mileage and time - is pretty accurate. I have since moved on to a Soleus 1.0 (I never thought I would be running with a GPS watch) because of running at too fast a pace for my training and conditioning at times. I really like it, seems to work pretty well for all I need/want. Cost is $99. Depending on what you want from it....the 1.0 does not do any computer interface (you will have to bust out the extra $$ for the 2.0 for that) nor does it do heart rate (if I can't do a reasonable conversation or am noticing I am out of breath, I probably need to slow it down a tad). Check out their website, and also DCRainmaker (has all kinds of reviews).

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you have smartphone that is the easiest way to get started. There are many different type of apps that can track your run and give you constant feedback in regards to pace.

I started with an iPhone app (Runkeeper) and then progressed to a Garmin 610.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Daily Mile's route mapper. When you go to log in a run, just hit "add workout" and "where did you run". You'll see a link that says, "map a new route". Go there, type in your zip code (or the zip code of wherever you ran) and click your way around wherever you ran. When your route is saved it can be used over and over. Just type in your hours, minutes and seconds and the program will do the math automatically and provide your pace per mile. Or you can do what I did when I was a "newbie": 1. Wear a watch when you run, noting your time. 2. Set the trip odometer in your car to zero, driving over the route you just ran. 3. Do the math yourself :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running