Answers/

Beginner Running

What is considered a fast time for my first 5K?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

I've been running on a local walking track. I have figured out now, that I have to focus on one thing at a time. Either mileage, or speed. Im concentrating on my form and trying to build up to 3 miles, without stopping to walk! I have made it 2 so far. Thanks everybody.

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Try not to place expectations upon yourself. If it's your first just do the best you can, and see if running is for you or not. You don't want to try to overdue it or you might hurt yourself or not have enough physically to finish. The most important thing is go out and just have fun with it, do your own thing and don't worry about others.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Don't worry about your time. Just have fun running. Plus, it depends on your age and how much you practiced. And don't worry if you have a bad time; you can have fun trying to beat it in your next race.

answered about 2 years ago |edited about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Just had a quick look at your training, I would suggest aiming for 30 mins would be a good target, but like the others have said just enjoy the day.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Don't worry about your time on your first race. Just remember, it's an automatic PR! And like Emerson said, you can then focus on trying to beat that time at the next race! And try not to compare yourself to other people and their times because everybody is different. Chances are, you'll have so much fun at the race you wont care what your time was.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It looks like you're getting good advice repeated by several people. I totally agree, don't worry about the time. The worst thing that could happen is a DNF (did not finish) because you were pushing too hard trying to make a time. Get across the finish line and then look at how the race went. Use how the first one goes to find where you need to improve and train to make the next race faster.

I'll add that if you're struggling to run 5k without walk breaks, you'll want to be extra careful not to start too fast. It's better to start slow and finish strong. It's easy to get caught up by the people in front of you, at least a few of whom will think of this as a short race and run hard from the start. Don't, you're just not there yet.

Finally, have fun!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running