Answers/

Beginner Running

Jen
Jen Sendmail

Utter newbie. I keep getting a terrible stitch, and intensely nauseous. What to do?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

Started the couch to 5k program. Have completed the first week and 2/3 of the second, though I haven't completed an actual workout as directed because there are a couple of hills in my neighborhood I can't avoid without getting in the car.

Every time I go up that hill, even walking, after jogging, I get the worst stitch in my side. I've had stitches in the past, but these put the old ones to shame. They are impossible to jog through and extremely difficult to keep walking (shuffling) through. On top of that, I get so incredibly nauseous, and sometimes actually get sick on the trail.

I'm hardly doing much. This is the bare minimum above walking. I can walk all day long with no trouble. But add in a minute of slow jogging, and I'm toast.

I've tried deep breathing and find if I try that too much while jogging my chest gets horribly tight. I have asthma (and take five different drugs to control it, but it does stay controlled, usually) and I've been using an inhaler before leaving.

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • That's a tough one, Jen. I'd say try to keep walking and jog a little when you can. Maybe try that big hill early in the workout as opposed to later? Also, you may want to do some abdominal strengthening exercises. On the nausea, there are just so many things that can cause it. I was a puker in my first running life, and now I try to drink a sports drink 30 min or more before I run; it seems to help me. Nausea can be from electrolyte imbalance, blood sugar issues, just the stress on your body or several other things. Good luck and welcome to DM!

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • What time of day are you doing the workout? I'd suggest doing all you can to avoid as much heat and humidity as possible. Running against heat and humidity are tough on anyone. Also, as Mark E. suggested, try moving the hill to a different time in your workout. Stick with it -- you can beat this side stitch!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • with asthma, and the 5 different medications, how much "direction" have you received from your doctor(s)? that is the first place i'd start.
    keep up the walking, and walk the hill, but do try to add very short stretches of jogging. DONT take it to the point of being out of breath, keep it a "conversational" pace & ENJOY this thing we call "running".
    it takes time, but by taking baby steps & enjoying the journey, you will definitely see some improvement over time.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have to agree with Jog M Up - make sure you've talked with your doctor about the plan that you're on.

I recently trained a friend the the SUCCESSFUL completion of her first half-marathon. We started her program with 4 minutes of walking and 30 seconds of jogging repeated for time - and those 30 seconds were EXTREMELY difficult for her. She made it through her plan and finished the half-marathon by walking 1 minute and jogging 2 repeated for the entire 13.1 miles. My point is... YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

And remember - you don't have to run the entire time to be a 'runner'! I recommend the book Running for Mortals if you're interested in a run/walk plan.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running