Answers/

Beginner Running

Knee pain : Do I need new shoes or Dr. visit?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

Started training for a 10 mile run 2 months ago. I usually run about 6 -11 miles per week. I was fitted for new shoes about a 6 weeks into my plan and was told I over-pronate. The person who fitted me has run for more than 20 years and fits all the track teams around here so I trust(ed) his opinion.Over a month ago I noticed a pain on the side of both my knees. I can't seem to stretch this area of my leg and now the pain has gone from, only after runs, to waking in the middle of the night with knee pain. Wonder what you guys think

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Outside of the knee or inside? Still both?

As far as your shoes, you may have gone from one extreme (before being fitted for your new shoes) to another. You may have been running in a neutral shoe and are now in a stability shoe (or vice versa; don't quote me on that). That may very well be the reason for your knee pain.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I don't know how your new shoes compare to your old shoes, but I agree with Adam. When I switched up my shoes, it took awhile to get used to - mainly because I transitioned into a minimalist pair. I went from never having an ache running to aching calves during and after a run.

I don't really have much experience, the only thing I can say is keep an eye on it. If you notice it's getting worse (which it sounds like it may be), it doesn't hurt to call your doctor and/or pop in for a visit to get his/her medical opinion.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Outside knee pain is often an ITB friction issue. Try the wet foot on deck or paper technique to see if you really over-pronate. Motion control shoes for pronators are very stiff so they may be altering your knee mechanics and causing the problem. If you ran pain-free in your old shoes, I would stick with that type. I'm always trying to sell forefoot running to heel-strikers since it often fixes knee problems with gradual, patient training.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I would try a pair of your old shoe style, or at least alternate the pairs every other day.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with Mike regarding alternating your new/old pairs. I recently got new shoes and it felt like I had shin splints almost immediately. I now use my older shoes for my longer runs and the new shoes on shorter runs and plan on keeping that cycle until they have broken in a bit.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It is a good idea to have more than one pair of running shoes so you can rotate. Although the running stores do know what they are talking about, finding the right shoe is more trial and error than expert opinion, at least in my non-expert opinion. After spending hundreds on "the right shoes" I've been buying $40 specials from discount stores and no longer have any foot-knee-or other pain. Hope you find the right mix of shoes for getting rid of your knee pain!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running