Answers/

Beginner Running

diet plan- week before a half marathon

asked over 2 years ago | Report

Does anyone have a diet plan that they follow and would like to share for the week before a half marathon to optimize race success?

3 answers

scroll to bottom
  • nothing special I drink more water the days leading up to race maybe zero calorie electrolyte stuff if it is going to be hot. DON'T try anything new go with what worked for you in training. if oatmeal is your go to breakfast stick with it. don't eat new exotic superbreakfast cause that is what someone else does go with what works w/ your gut. good luck and kick booty!

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Don't do anything different. you don't run out of glycogen during a half mary, so the whole carbo loading thing isn't necessary or beneficial. Stay well hydrated, and go with an easy to digest breakfast that morning.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • As the others have said - don't try anything new, especially a few days before the race. I might also suggest going easy on the fiber or anything that gives you gas or tummy upset (e.g., loads of beans, spicy food etc.). Though everyone is different, I find that I feel much better if I don't drink any alcoholic beverages for about a month before a race (in general, my training is much better when I don't drink alcohol at all). My philosophy is to maximize the nutritional value of the calories you do consume in the weeks before a race. For instance, get your carbs from fruit and vegetables and some whole grains, not from loads of white pasta, bagels, potato chips, etc. I skip the yummy deserts and substitute fruit (until after the race.....then I treat myself). And as the others mentioned, begin your hydration in the days before the race - especially if it's hot. Avoid things that dehydrate (too much caffeine, sun exposure, alcohol). Have a great time at your half-marathon. I do one this Sunday...such a great distance. Enjoy!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running