Answers/

Beginner Running

First time trail runner...

asked over 2 years ago | Report

I have just signed up for a race called the grasmere gallop which is in june.Its a 10k which i have done before,but seems to be more of a trail run which i have never done.
Has anyone done this race in the past? can any dailymilers give me some advice on trail running? do i need to do anything different in my training? My running route is hilly in parts and i do hillwork,should i go off road for some runs,and get used to running on different terrain?

just to say thanks to everyone that answered,great advice,am really looking forward to it looks a lot of fun.

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Your pace will be slower trail running. If possible get some trail running in before the race. You will probably not need any trail shoes, but by running on trails before, you will have time to make up your mind and get a pair plus put some miles on them. Like I said you probably won't need them.

You have to choose your footing more carefully and PICK your feet up more while trail running.

You shouldn't have signed up for a trail race, they tend to become addictive and you will find yourself looking for more. ;)

Enjoy the dirt, it's fun to play in.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I found the most important thing for trail running is good trail shoes and correct stride. I twisted my ankle a couple of times. A look at my running style made me realise i was over striding and slipping on the mud.
    I changed my style thanks to you tube and it all became easier.
    I managed my first trail 10k last April and my first trail marathon is in a month (south downs marathon ).
    Trail running is more rewarding as you have hills and nicer views!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Doing a few training runs on a trail will give you some good perspective - it takes a different type of mindset, and you need to pay more attention to the terrain, but it is still running, and lots of fun! Enjoy the race!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think Paul is right, stride and form are very important. The simplest advice is to take shorter strides on the trails, especially going uphill.

Also, you'll need to pay attention to the ground and the trail ahead. It's easy to step on something you shouldn't (roots, snakes, poison oak, etc.) and it's also sometimes easy to miss trail markers and get off track (this even happens at well organized events from time to time).

Getting trail shoes depends on the types of trails you're running. If it's at all rocky, then you might want better protection. If it's slippery or muddy, good traction will make your life a whole lot easier.

But more than anything, enjoy!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running