Answers/

Beginner Running

What is the cause of the burning sensation in my legs?

asked almost 3 years ago | Report

After 10-20 minutes into a walk or run, I have a severe burning down the sides of my legs, just above the ankles. I've tried more water, stretching, shoe orthotics, different shoes, massage. I've consulted with my family Doctor, was referred to a Podiatrist, and have talked to a Chiropractor and an LMT.

I'd worry it is a mental problem, but when I begin moving, the burning reminds me it is real. Any ideas?

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • sounds like shin splints but in the wrong place.

answered almost 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Min
    Min Sendmail

I've got the same thing & believe it be a shin/calf problem. I've been doing lots of exercises to strengthen my shins & am trying VERY hard to remember to stretch my calves on a regular basis (which I am terrible at). It hurts, but goes away after about 2 miles & then I feel great until the next time I go for a walk.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I sometimes get a burning sensation in my lower leg area when running...usually i trace it back to running with an altered form to my regular running, ie when im overcompensating for something else. Ive also had it a few times in races.

For me it seems to occur more frequently when i overstride and slap my foot down,

If you can hear an audible slapping sound when your running as your feet hit the ground then id suggest that you try running softly and queitly... the focus on being soft and queit may help you avoid the action thats causing the burning sensation...Its what i do when i feel it.

As Min says doing some strngth building exercises, and strecthing is also a good idea.

And if all else fails just take it easy, relax, and dont worry about how fast or how far your going untill people start to complain that you spend too much time walking or running ;)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • answered almost 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Beginner Running