Forums/

Beginner Cycling

Advice, anyone?!

posted almost 6 years ago | Report

Ive recently become active, i started off at 285lbs in january and have kind of been just losing weight here and there since then so im only down to about 248 and i decided that i want to do more cycling lately and wanna know the best way to get started! :)

• Jump on a bike, any bike and ride like the wind!!!!

With that said start slow. I would start by riding 2 miles 2-3 times a week. Then adding 1 mile per week after week two. If it starts feeling too far stay at that distance for another week. Just keep building. Once you get to 10-12 miles you can start adding more miles on.

As for bike choice I went with a road bike first and love it, but I can only ride on the road or paved trails. I'm currently looking for a Cyclocross bike and it seems to be the best of both worlds. You can put some "off-road"tires on it and then get a set of road slicks for it if needed. This allows you to ride crushed rock trails.

Hope that makes sense.

posted almost 6 years ago

• Exactly what Mark K said jump on and go. Started at 211 and in 2.5 months I was at 170. I rode everyday from 7 to 30 miles a day and further once I got in better shape and in doing so my diet changed with out me even trying it wanted tuna fish, pbj or honey with bananas. pretty much stop eating fast food cut down on the pops. The main thing is stay consistent find local riding clubs or other people with the same interest to help you stay motivated. 7 days a week because I was afraid once I took a day then it would take another and another so I trained my mind instead of letting my body have a rest day. Eventually I got to where I could miss a day and not worry about be able to start up again.

So keep it up and you will get there.

• I agree with Mark and Bryce. I assume that as of now you're only looking into trimming down instead of speed and distance. For now I would only ride a few times a week at a comfortable pace, get the cardio and fitness level going, and then I would start doing intervals to help you continue loose weight. I did something similar a few years ago to tone down so I could start running; easier on the knees being lighter. If you're good a following plans, take a look online for training plan as a guideline. Just ride, enjoy it, and the more you do, the more you will learn overall. Good luck!!

• i like have a goal to train for. nothing crazy just a casual ride event like a metric century (60mile ride) or a full century (100miles) but there are smaller distnace events as well.

also look around for local cycling clubs they'll have lots of cool folks to make your training more enjoyable and have lots of good knowledge to pass on

also get some good cycling shorts and bodyglide/aquaphor

besides that it's just JFR (just friggin' ride)

• They key is establishing the habit. You'll know when you're there when you're having a crappy day and say to yourself, "I just need to go for a bike ride to blow off some steam".

The way I did it is:

1. Starting out, Bike, do not exercise! There is a difference. If your legs hurt or your mouth is open, you are exercising. You will be surprised how far and how fast you can bike without exercising. A long walk is a really short bike ride.

2. Look around as you ride. Seems trivial, but once again it's the difference between biking and exercising while staring at a road. Feel the breeze, check out the houses and trees and squirrels. Wave to every single person who is out there too.

3. Get your seat height right. Bike shop is best, but if you don't want to spend the money google various techniques. It's likely a lot higher than you think it should be but don't go too high (legs should almost be straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke without having to rock your hips).

4. If you have gears, use them! If it feels like it's hard to push the pedals, shift to an easier gear. Pushing the pedals should be almost effortless. Learn to shift early and often as you go up and down hills. Try to shift so you put the same pressure into your pedal stroke no matter if you're going up down or flat.

5. Once you start exercising (so your legs are hurting a little and your mouth is open), if the day is going bad and you don't have it in you, stop exercising. Note: That doesn't mean end the ride, but switch from exercising to riding. Improvement at first is all about the miles, not tempo or intervals or time trials. You'll likely find that after switching to just riding for a few miles you really want to pick the pace back up, but if not that's fine too.

6. Record every ride, even if it is 1 mile long. Every mile counts! Don't feel bad that you only did one mile, feel good that you added a mile to your total.

7. As your rides get longer, find new routes to ride. This may necessitate leaving the neighborhood and co-existing with cars. Do your safety research as most safe cycling practices on the road are not only counter-intuitive (like not riding on the sidewalk ever), they're the opposite of what many of us were taught as children (like riding against traffic or using that weird left-hand turn thing that nobody understands) and the opposite of what is safe when you're out walking.

• First of all Mattie, you have lost nearly 40 lbs. That's great and you should be proud and I expect motivated for more. I am a runner not biker, but I agree with the other posters, start slow and add in small increments. Building mileage over time will help to make sure you don't get injured. And if you're like me, my butt hurts if I'm not used to riding a bike.

I fought my weight for probably 20 years, losing it then gaining it all back and more. I finally figured out that I needed to make permanent changes in my diet and physical activity in order to keep it off. I have been at my goal weight for about 3 years now and I feel great.

Wishing you the best of luck on continued weight loss and enjoy your time on the bike!

• I agree with these guys except Id suggest that you focus on time at first. If you can get up to riding an hour steady, then you can by a cheap bike computer ( about $15) and start seeing how many miles you can get in an hour and compete against yourself.