Forums/

Beginner Cycling

what is a good first road bike?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I have recently taken up cycling but only have a now broken mountain bike to ride on. So i am looking to a new road bike to use for long distance rides and triathlons.

As of yet I am not too sure where to start looking, should i get a good frame first and basics of all the rest, carbon or ally.

my budget is around £850. but can push to £1000 if it makes that much of a difference.

any advice would be much appreciated

  • wow. too many choices to list. It's not like there are really just one or two good bikes out there. Plus- the models and pricing on the right side of the pond are probably a bit different than those on the left.

    While carbon frames are all the rage, in that price range you might do better by getting a really really great aluminum frame rather than a middle range carbon. So- I'd suggest a Cannondale CAAD10-5.

    In the UK- you've got Planet X. You might like their Pro Carbon with SRAM Rival- that would be a nice bike. But- Planet X is mail order, and if this is your first real road bike, you really might benefit from visiting your local bike shops.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what Morey B. said:wow. too many choices to list. It's not like there are really just one or two good bikes out there. Plus- the models and pricing on the right side of the pond are probably a bit different than those on the left. While carbon frames are ... read more

    okay thanks. I will pop in to my local store. many thanks

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what Jack U. said:okay thanks. I will pop in to my local store. many thanks

    it's a good place to start. Get a feel for what's out there, ride a few, learn the diffences and what kind of bike you start to fall in love with. The difference in performance between a $1000 and a $4000 bike isn't much. It's really an emotional decision.

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what Morey B. said:it's a good place to start. Get a feel for what's out there, ride a few, learn the diffences and what kind of bike you start to fall in love with. The difference in performance between a $1000 and a $4000 bike isn't much. It'... read more

    Went to test out a bike today and tried out a scott speedster s50 and a felt z95. not a big difference in performance. so going to pick up my felt z95 tomorrow morning.

    thx for the advice I cant wait to start up properly :)

    posted over 2 years ago

  • in reply to what Jack U. said:Went to test out a bike today and tried out a scott speedster s50 and a felt z95. not a big difference in performance. so going to pick up my felt z95 tomorrow morning. thx for the advice I cant wait to start up properly :)

    I've never ridden the Z95, but I bought a new Felt TT bike last year and really love it. They do a great job and you get a lot of bike for your money. ride it well... and often.

    Next- shop for shoes and clipless pedals. Helmet, water bottles/cages, gloves, cycling shorts, computer, saddle pack with flat repair stuff.... it's just beginning. ;)

    posted over 2 years ago

Similar Discussions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling