Answers/

Beginner Cycling

What bike trainer would you recommend for a beginner cyclist?

asked over 7 years ago | Report

I've decided to take the plunge into getting more serious about cycling by integrating it into my weekly workouts. I'd like to get the community's suggestions for a good bike trainer for a beginner to use.

2 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Any trainer will work, but you want to look for wheel height adjustment, solid build, and a good reputation. Cycle-Ops, Kinetic, and Blackburn all have good reviews and reputations.

I've had the Blackburn for 3 years, and find it very solid and reliable. I am now considering rollers for indoor training, the benefit of rollers over a trainer is engagement of the core, and greater bike control. Roller riders on the road are generally arrow straight and smooth riders, after all, all winter they were riding on a 16" wide strip of pavement.

answered over 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I finally replaced my never fail solid cheap trainer a couple years ago with this one http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_502633_-1_202630_10000_202606 or something like it. I recommend a trainer that can give you some data. I also do a spinning video put out by coach troy -- spinervals. I've bought several of his videos and only really like one--called Tough Love which is a three hour workout. When I first start with it again, I incrementally work up to his 3 hour workout, as I'm usually training for a week long bike ride, and need to be able to ride 3 hours. http://www.amazon.com/Spinervals-Competition-DVD-13-0-Tough/dp/B001E37QIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1300016027&sr=8-1

If you can try out a trainer before buying it, you want to pay attention to the amount of noise and whether it has good resistance, and then decide how much information you'd like to have about the ride--miles and intensity and.. Nashbar is just a generic brand; you can get the equivalent in a more reputable brand.

answered over 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling