Answers/

Beginner Cycling

Help, pain or numbness in feet while cycling?*

asked over 4 years ago | Report

Does anyone else every have this problem. I bought a new nice seat, upgraded my cycling shorts and still I get pain and numbness in my feet. I generally get the pain in the ball area and numbness in the toes. It generally gets so bad that I cut my rides short. The furthest I can bare it is 26 miles.
Is there any suggestions for anything that might help? I hope to eventually do Triathlons but this really hinders my training.

*Thanks everyone for the advice, I really think it does come down to the shoe fit/type and plan on remedying that a soon as I get the cash. Once again I appreciate all the feedback*

9 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Are you using clipless pedals? I had that problem when I first started cyling with clipless and learned that you have to pedal differently or else too much pressure is exerted on your toes and they go numb. Try pedaling like you are scraping something off the bottom of your shoe so that the force is generated from pulling back instead of pushing down...

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Are your shoe straps too tight? Do your shoes have a good sole? Are you curling your toes down when you pedal?
    I would check these out first. Either of the first two can cause serious discomfort and cramping after a period of time during a ride, curling your toes might be a subconscious thing that you don't even pay attention to. Off the top of my head that's all I can think of. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you're using clipless pedals (I still don't understand the terminology, because clipless ones are the ones that clip into your shoes), don't skimp on your shoes. A stiff carbon (more expensive) one will make a HUGE difference. The stiffer the sole, the less point pressure you'll feel on the ball of your feet.

I have one high end pair of carbon shoes that work really great, I then bought some tri shoes with some carbon composite mix (less expensive) and I can really feel the pain on longer and harder rides.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to get it but changed shoes and ramped up the miles slowly - problem fixed.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You could be ratcheting your buckles too tight. Our feet swell during extended exercise so try considering that.

Another thing that came to mind is having a bike fit. Have you ever had a professional bike fit done for you? Trust me, it's worth the money.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with a few of the answers here..have a real professional bike fit..I had a bike fit but some things were wrong so fixed those things with a real bike fit. Also agree with the shoes..better quality. Also my pedal form was corrected today while in the bike lab. I usually only get numb due to weather..as I like to bike sockless and many of our tri's in Seattle have been cold..so numb feet. Wiggle the toes some as well while riding.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to get the same problem in beginning, but by changing my pair of shoes all problem was solved. After that, i enjoyed cycling even more and covered more extra miles.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • One thing I always tell new riders is to move around on the bike while riding. Reach up and stretch the back muscles. Reach up with a hand and then touch the opposite shoulder going behind your head. Wiggle your toes while coasting. The point is to not sit on your bike for hours at a time and only move your legs and occasionally your hands. You'll stiffen up, get pain and riding won't be fun anymore.

As for shoes, they should be well fit but not overly tight. If they lace, don't lace them too tight as you'll restrict blood flow. Shoes cured my foot pain problem but I still actively practice toe flexing and stretching while riding.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with everyone here I would look into a bike fit first they can tell the rest as they adjust the bike to you.
    Bike fit
    shoes
    cleats not in right position
    sock thickness

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling