Answers/

Beginner Cycling

How do I handle foot cramps?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

I am a new cyclist, and my equipment is very inexpensive (I'm just using what I have.) I'm up to 10-13 mile rides, and I notice that around mile 10 my feet start really hurting. I think what I'm doing is trying to grip the pedal with my toes, and it's causing pain.
I eventually want to get pedals/shoes that let me attach my feet to the pedals (remember--absolute newbie here. I have NO idea what those are called. :o)
However, I can't afford either a new bike or modifications right now. Is there any advice that you can give me to help avoid pain?
Thanks!

3 answers

scroll to bottom
  • answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Typically with biking distances you do need a pretty stiff sole in your shoes, the flex in most running/atheletic shoes is likely the cause because you end up pushing on the balls of your feet the entire time...I suspect when you can get new shoes, biking shoes will take care of the problem. You can get some cycling shoes that you can wear now that don't need special pedals, but are ready to accept the 'clipless pedal clip' for when you're ready to make that leap too!

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Pedals that you can attach your feet to are called clipless pedals, and they work by a special cleat on the bottom of a cycling shoe that hooks into the pedal. With some cycling shoes (but not all), you can use them on flat pedals by just not installing a cleat on the bottom. You could get the shoes first, and you would get the advantage of having a stiffer sole right away, then eventually buy the clipless pedals and the cleats for the shoes, so you wouldn't have to buy everything all at once.. I have a pair of this shoe which is not super expensive and is comfortable for me for up to 20 miles or so. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20142?cm_vc=PDPZ2

Other than that, maybe try a break after 8 miles or so, before your feet start hurting, get off the bike for a few minutes and stretch your feet? Maybe foot strengthening exercises, like scrunching a towel or picking up marbles with your toes, would help?

answered over 2 years ago |edited over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling