Answers/

Beginner Cycling

I'm a beginner cyclist but I'm trying to train myself up to do some long distance cycling. Tips/advice needed.

asked about 2 years ago | Report

I have a bog standard hybrid bike.Trying to train to get to the century mark.I'm managing 1-2 hours at a time and aiming to train 3-4 times per week.What sort of realistic targets should i be setting mysef?Not really much in the way of hills where I live so its mostly level cycling I'm doing.

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Best thing you can do, is some really fast work, and some easier, but longer work, and don't increase your overall mileage or long rides by much more than 10% per week.

Otherwise, just keep at it and do what you're comfortable with!! Cycling has less impact so it's less risky than increasing running miles :D

You can also check some local bike shops for some beginner rides in the area that should help with motivation, and get you more information on good routes etc.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • One particular thing to learn is how to hydrate and refuel effectively. Many articles have been written on this topic, but hydration and refueling (eating properly while on the ride) are the two of the most important things you can invest learning hours in. I have done the full-century thing before.....hydrate, hydrate....hydrate. Ride safe!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm going to reinforce pj's point. I've found rides in the 1 to 2 hour range don't require much in the way of special prep...other than carrying water or planning the route so you have frequent access to water... There's nothing special to plan for as far as nutrition goes... However, once you start pushing past that 2 hour time frame... On ride nutrition starts to become very important.

I had been riding 25k week night ride and 30-40k weekend ride with little more than water... But now that I've pushed into the 80k (50 mile) range for a weekend ride I've had to modify my plans to include more and better hydration... And, most importantly.... Some solid food as well. 3 to 4 hours on a bike takes a lot of energy and liquids can provide it all... Nor can you carbo load enough calories either... So, as you push your time in saddle past 2 hours... Start looking into food.

As far as hydration goes... Again, past 2 hours and you might want to consider a hydration pack. Water bottles just won't hold enough or to get enough... You'd need 4 or 5 bottles. I find my hydration pack an essential piece of gear

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Once you start looking at spending 2+ hrs you need only bottles.x2 on the bike x2 in your jersey, if your looking at the 100 mile mark. Energy bars and gels are a must. Calories you burn must be replaced or you will not make the return leg in one piece. Then you need to recover using protein drinks. Loads of sleep and eat well. You do this and the fitness level will be shocking very fast.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling