Answers/

Beginner Cycling

User_avatar Deleted User

What kind of bike is this?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

I started riding a bike that has been sitting in my garage for 10 years and really enjoy it. I've also started reading all kinds of articles on cycling and realize how complicated it can really get. To be honest, I don't even know what kind of bike I have. I posted a pic of it in my profile. Is it a mountain bike? Hybrid? Comfort bike? It says "All Terrain" on it and has flat handle bars.

I'm riding mostly on flat paved trails. I'm assuming I'll eventually have to get a real road bike if I start getting really into it. But, is this good enough to start out or should I start looking for something else?

Thanks for your help!

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • http://www.dailymile.com/people/5kfan/photos/475537

with the knobby wheels I'm going w/ mountain bike. if it fits you and wheels are round then I say ride it! adjust the saddle so when you are at the bottom of stroke you have a little bit of a bend in your knee. you might switch out the knobby tires for smooth ones it will be a little faster on the road that way. and get a good helmet to protect your noggin

good luck and have fun

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Jan
    Jan Sendmail

As usual, Joe H. gave great advice. With the thinner frame I'd guess it's a hybrid but it doesn't matter too much. I agree about considering smoother tires. It would probably be more enjoyable on the pavement.

Have fun with it!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It would probably be classified as a hybrid, with knobby tires.
    Mountain bikes usually have a suspension fork, or at least beefier forks.
    Comfort bikes have more rake and rise to the handle bars (I hate to say it but think Pee Wee Herman).

If you are enjoying riding it, who cares what it is called. Like the other posters have said, new road tires will make for a better ride.

If the time comes to add a stable mate, go nuts visit local bike shops, test ride, test ride, test ride, and get the bike you like the most. (and even then don't worry about what "type"it is)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It is a mountain bike...most hybrid bikes come with larger diameter wheels...that appears to have 26" wheels...that being said, if you're having fun, RIDE IT!!! If you want it to roll smoother you can swap out the tires to have a smooth road tire on it, you'll find that it'll roll down the road smoother and be more enjoyable but not much good if you're not on pavement.

You can start out on that bike for sure, no doubt...though it is a lower quality brand. As long as you keep it clean and the chain oiled well it'll last just fine for a beginner. I've heard stories of people riding bikes like that cross country, though it's a rather heavy ride for that :)

Long story short: if the bike feels ok to you and you're having fun? RIDE IT! :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It seems most of your questions have already been answered. It is a mountain bike; I think Free Spirit is a Sears brand from a few years ago. It will do to get you started for sure. I started off on a mountain bike too, and found that my speed and enjoyment increased DRAMATICALLY on the pavement when I threw some 1.5 inch slick tires on it! However, I found that after my rides started getting longer I needed to be able to adjust my hand positions, so I bought a high quality used road bike off CL with drop bars. If you are liking riding, but don't want to drop at least $800 bucks on an entry level bike, try looking for a gently used older bike.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • This is a fully "rigid" mountain bike. Meaning rigid front fork and no rear suspension. Great bike for you to start on and get acclimated to cycline at little cost. If you are doing a lot of road riding or light trail riding, simply throw a smaller knobby tire of semi slick. These are more "road-friendly" tires that can also be used off road. The knobbys are really noisy on pavement and create a lot of resistance. This of course can be great for training. It is all in the personal preference. I do believe your bike is a "Free Spirit" which was in lines with Huffy back in the day. Department store bike basically, but a great starter.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling