Answers/

Beginner Cycling

What setting should I set my stationary bike on to simulate resistance on the road?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

I am training for a bike ride...which I have never done before and am trying to get "seat time" in at the gym. Any suggestions?

2 answers

scroll to bottom
  • As far as "settings", if you mean which program on the bike computer control you should be working on:

If you are training for a bike ride, expect to spend some time on the stationary bike, commit to it, don't just use it only as a warm-up before you go on to other gym exercises or lifting.

First, use a setting that will let you get yourself warmed to the movement and exercise: this means spinning. Find a setting that looks like it simulates riding on a flat road, with enough resistance you can spin the cranks at about 80 to 90 RPM. Do this for a bit, until you know you are warmed up. Muscles comfortable, and you feel like you can ride for a lot longer.

Then, to simulate the road, with the variances in climbing and wind/airflow you would expect in "reality", find a program that will exercise you in intervals...in other words, a segment of relatively easy spinning, then a harder intensity (like climbing up a hill) for a minute or so, then back to spinning. In doing this you develop the cycle fitness and muscle strength that is needed on the road.

After you do the interval training, go back to the spin program, for your cool down.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with Richard, intervals are a great way to build up strength in both legs and lung power. As far as the settings for the road feel they vary from machine to machine. just adjust the resistance until you get the 80 rpm cadence going that Richard suggested and make note of the resistance setting for the next time you get on the gym bike. later as the weeks go by you will notice that the resistance level will need to be upped one notch as you get stronger.

Also, get on an actual bike and go! It's a lot funner too!

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling