Answers/

Beginner Cycling

Trainer for under $100? + Bike Computer?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

Im looking for a good trainer thats under $100. Whats your suggestions? - Also, Id like a bike computer. Would any computer work with a trainer or would I need something specific? I just want to know distance traveled and time elapsed.

2 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Good trainers under 100 will be tough to find. They will probably be wind trainers and be noisy, or magnetic ones and not the best built. You will probably despise them. As for a bike computer, any should work with a trainer, so long as you dont get the LeMond one that requires you to take off your wheel.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • As far as computer, when on most trainers your rear wheel is the only one moving, so you need either a wireless computer with the transmission/receiving distance to go from your rear wheel to your handlebars or a wired computer with enough wire to make the distance. Some wireless computer manufacturers post their transmission distance on their websites, but in practice many of the claims are very optimistic. You very easily can purchase a wireless computer that claims it can do the duty only to find out it cannot. VDO computers, for instance, were known for this and frustrated a lot of purchasers.

The two computers I have used with good results are the Cateye CC-RD400DW Strada Double Wireless Cycling Computer (Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-RD400DW-Wireless-Cycling-Computer/dp/B002HHQNL4), which is intended for rear sensor placement, and the Sigma Targa BC-2209 wireless computer (Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Targa-Wireless-Bicycle-Computer/dp/B004JKGJKM) which has a very long transmission range, long enough that you could even mount the computer on top of your helmet and still have the sensor at the hub successfully transmit...so rear wheel sensor attachment is not a problem.

Neither are cheap computers. I don't know how that will work in with your "Trainer for under $100+ bike computer" requirements, but I took into account what my cycling computer needs were when I got the Sigma Targa. That computer has the ability to work with two bikes, so I can use it on the trainer bike and on my mountain bike. It has a lot of data that is useful for me, such as altitude. It also includes a heart rate monitor, so I eliminated the need for two computers and a separate heart rate device when I bought it.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling