Answers/

Beginner Cycling

I'm cycling for fitness (most fat-burn) so should I go for max distance, or less with more intensity???

asked about 7 years ago | Report

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Hey Murry, for fat burning, it's not the intensity. it's time at a metabolic fat burning zone.

answered about 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • To be honest I would suggest mixing both. There are many out there who qualify for the fat 'n slow category who can ride all day at a low pace, but that doesn't really do anything for losing weight. Short anaerobic rides will jack your metabolism like crazy and this is where you can really burn a lot of weight. Just cut down on carb intake. All of that bs out there about cyclists requiring a lot of carbs is the biggest myth since the world ending two weeks ago. This is only required after serious anaerobic efforts. I ride a lot, fast and hard, and I hardly consume any carbs. I have lost weight and have as much energy as I need. I find that long rides don't really help me to lose weight unless I'm pushing at a relatively moderate pace, E3 or higher. You will be able to tell by your appetite if you're really melting away the weight. The hungrier you get after a ride, the more effective the ride will be at helping you to lose weight. Good luck man!

answered almost 7 years ago |edited almost 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with Kevin. And it's applicable to all forms of exercise (running, swimming, even weight lifting etc). To get the best results you need to mix things up between shorter high intensity workouts and longer but still moderate intensity workouts. Both are beneficial to your health and will help you lose more weight.

answered almost 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Variety is the spice of life. If you held to just one type of workout you'd get bored and give it up. Mix it up, alternate intense days with slow distance days.

answered almost 7 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling