Answers/

Beginner Cycling

First bike computer recommendations?

asked over 3 years ago | Report

I'm buying my first bike computer today. I'm just a beginner and don't really have a crazy amount of money to spend right now. Just looking to track basics - mileage, time, etc. Any suggestions?

13 answers

scroll to bottom
  • for $50-60 you can get alot. also they seel cheapo ones for like $20 that work fine aswell, they are just not as user friendly.

this is one of the ones i have
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CP707A08-Planet+Bike+Protege+90+Computer.aspx

i really like the one i posted a link to, it has no buttons, everything you need is on display, and it has auto on/off. its pretty cheap too.

answered over 3 years ago |edited over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Jim
    Jim Sendmail

You can get a good Cateye for under $50 (wired) that will give you what you need including cadence. Not heart rate though. I have used Cateye's for a couple of years now and really like them. If I had the finances I would probably get one of the Garmins that have gps routing

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i agree with what Jim said, i like Cateye aswell. the other computer i have is a Cateye with cadence, love that thing. and just remember most of the cheaper computers are wired, so you will have a wire running down your handlebars/forks. wireless computers are cool, but i wouldnt buy a cheap one.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The cat eye strada wireless is the best for the money. It cost around 50 bucks but well worth it you will use it for years. Save some money later and buy a good heart rate monitor

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you have the budget, do try for one with cadence. Training based on cadence is great if your focus is fitness. Agree with the others Cateye is great. I have an Astrale 8, but don't think they make them anymore. Closest current comparison is probably the Strada Cadence:

http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-RD200-Cadence-Bicycle-Computer/dp/B000R6QR2C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1300884232&sr=1-2

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Jen: I just ordered one of these Cateye that are on sale from BikeNashbar. $20. The computer that is being replaced was a Cateye that was bought new in 1984...and is still working. I have a wireless Cateye on my primary road bike but wanted a new one for my city/touring bike. These are on sale and do everything that you need. Plus they are not hard to set up. Here's the link to the website: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_134140_-1_202630_10000_202553

If you do not really require cadence, I would stay away from them. I've seen too many bikers having trouble with double pickups. BTW, I've ordered from BikeNashbar for many years. They are very reliable.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • get one off dealextreme . i got mine for under 10$ for cycle

answered about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you have an iphone go with Cyclemeter. It works of GPS so sometimes it doesnt come back with the right speed but the app is only $5 so for a first computer I think it works great, plus it auto uploads your rides to this site! I also use the iBike Phone booth to attach it to my bike, works great and it's water proof (well dont dunk it in water) so riding in the rain wont hurt it. The phone booth is availabe at any Apple Store or the website.

They might have something similar on other phone operating systems.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm using cyclemeter right now as an iPhone app. I think they also have one for android as well. The connection to this site is really cool as well.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I got one at Fred Meyer yesterday for about 15 bucks and so far I'm pretty happy with it (used it for the first time today). It tracks time, distance, max speed, average speed, calories and fat burned (although it can't register altitude so there's a big descrepency between the computer and daily mile website on cals burned), temp, etc. I didn't want to spend much on one either since I'm new at this and only wanted to see the basics.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I posted the other day about my computer. One thing I absolutely hate about it: I thought each time I started up after it shut itself off it would reset. It doesn't and you have to reset the WHOLE computer if you want to reset the odometer and calories, time, etc... This stinks because you have to reset your tire size, age, weight, time, etc also. Might be something to check out before you get a bike computer...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • iPhone and the app may be best choose for some cases.
    I recommend Cyclist PRO app: http://bit.ly/okoCIM

answered almost 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm glad ya went with CatEye...they're amongst the best! I love being able to track things on my Android phone (others use iPhone...so sue me!) but there is something to be said for a dedicated bike computer!

answered almost 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - Beginner Cycling