Forums/

Anything Goes

Deleted the Forum tab from Community tab- Dear MR dailymile....

posted over 5 years ago | Report

I am actually really sad to see this gone from the Community tab. Was it really such a problem to leave it there? When I first came to this site, I posted about being new.

THIS forum was how I met new folks. I think your very active community stems from those small posts of people looking for others to comment with. I think I am a pretty active member here and really like the site but I am sad that the tab is gone. Having to have a different link in my favorites saved just to go to the forums is a bummer.

Besides that... this makes the forums non existant to NEW users so when some of my current DM friends fade (which seems about 5 every few months)... how can I find those new ones once again IF they cant find me?

I kind of take it like you think your site will just continue to grow through mingling friends like a facebook-- but that would be hard here since athletes are way more selective about who they want to interact with here- at least I am. I feel imbreeding and stagnation is in the future. Boooring...

Is it really so hard to put it back? All you really needed to do was insert a filter for the jackass spammers and I would be back more ( I have actually sent many notices about the spammers) The spammers take over shoving us aside...

I guess you don't want to fix that and improve that part of the site which is your right. I am just bummed.
Gozling.

40 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Agreed. When I first joined DM, I utilized the forums feature a lot to find new friends and get great advice and also to share some of my own with others. I think is an important part of the community. It reaches out to a wider audience that just our "friends" and invites a number of people to comment and answer questions. Disappointing that they didn't see it fit to keep.

posted over 5 years ago

• When I first joined I stalked a few of the "I'm new, please add me!" threads and friended lots of the people who responded, as they seemed so supportive. Once I got a decent amount I started to pretty organically stumble across friends of friends etc, but I think it would have been difficult/daunting to accumulate friends any other way.

posted over 5 years ago

• I agree the forums were a huge help in getting started. I think I had 2 friends for several months before going to the forums and finding people that were in the same boat as me. It would definitely be a loss!

posted over 5 years ago

• I think this would be a huge loss to not have the forums. I use DM not only for posting my workouts and such but also to find information and advice and it's always good to be able to go outside just the people I am friends with. I would spend less time on DM if the forums were gone.

posted over 5 years ago

• Totally agree that there were some good use cases for the forums, like asking questions and meeting friends. The problem is that the numbers tell us that very few people are actually using them now. It's also separate from the rest of the dailymile experience, which is focused in the entry stream. The next version of dailymile will improve upon what the forums were useful for and integrate them directly into the core site.

posted over 5 years ago

• I also checked the forums fairly regularly and enjoyed several discussions. The layout was a bit awkward and sometimes the spammers got a bit deep, but overall it was a very useful feature.

posted over 5 years ago

• Ben - I really liked this idea that you and Darren mentioned on my thread.....

Perhaps Ben instead of a dedicated forum you could have a "questions" option that makes your post public, accessible from a new option under "popular" on the left of your feed? Also, friend recommendations (community->people near me) needs to be improved. Right now 90% of the people I click are long gone. Limit it to people who have been active in the past 2 weeks, say.

PBen W. Ben W. Yup, great idea, that's along the lines that we're thinking

Hope it was ok to copy that... want everyone to have the info... That would be cool with me!!!

posted over 5 years ago

• Ben posted on my page an interesting idea--- Well actually Darren posted it but Ben agreed with the lines of its thinking... I posted it below

posted over 5 years ago

• I did the same thing Andy...

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Kelly L. said:Agreed. When I first joined DM, I utilized the forums feature a lot to find new friends and get great advice and also to share some of my own with others. I think is an important part of the community. It reaches out to a wider audience that ju... read more

Ben posted on my page an interesting idea--- Well actually Darren posted it but Ben agreed with the lines of its thinking... I posted it below

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Andy L. said:When I first joined I stalked a few of the "I'm new, please add me!" threads and friended lots of the people who responded, as they seemed so supportive. Once I got a decent amount I started to pretty organically stumble across frie... read more

I did the same thing Andy :)

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Sang Y. said:I agree the forums were a huge help in getting started. I think I had 2 friends for several months before going to the forums and finding people that were in the same boat as me. It would definitely be a loss!

Thanks for the info Sang!!!

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Adam F. said:I think this would be a huge loss to not have the forums. I use DM not only for posting my workouts and such but also to find information and advice and it's always good to be able to go outside just the people I am friends with. I would spe... read more

I am amazed how much time i spend reading... especially when I was doing my first Tri... this was a great area about info!

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Karyl-Lynne T. said:I also checked the forums fairly regularly and enjoyed several discussions. The layout was a bit awkward and sometimes the spammers got a bit deep, but overall it was a very useful feature.

I agree!!!!!

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Ben W. said:Totally agree that there were some good use cases for the forums, like asking questions and meeting friends. The problem is that the numbers tell us that very few people are actually using them now. It's also separate from the rest of the dai... read more

Thanks Ben! The numbers don't tell you about how many stalker/readers you had :) I was interested in that on my friends list because I am a big stalker reader person... I like the idea Darren mentioned and hope that is a feature but worry still about the new folks joining the site about how to find friends.

posted over 5 years ago

• I think most if not all of my DM friends came from the forum where i saw they had just joined like me or had a similar outlook on juggling exercise and the rest of life. I also managed to got some cracking advice that I would not have got anywhere else a the time. Now I am very lucky to have amazing DM friends you can offer me pearls of wisdom but at the beginning the forum is the place.

posted over 5 years ago

• Less people use the forums so you remove them? Another way of thinking could have been to make them more prominent so more people used them, like with a new tab.

I think the forums are the best part of DM. I use forums on other running sites and see way too many crap answers and attitudes, so I like this forum the best.

So when does the "next version" go live?

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Kris B. said:Less people use the forums so you remove them? Another way of thinking could have been to make them more prominent so more people used them, like with a new tab. I think the forums are the best part of DM. I use forums on other running sites and... read more

Hey Kris - some features won't be used as much as others. The goal is to have a very coherent experience. If we can take what works best in the forums and integrate it into the way that almost everyone else is using dailymile then that makes the most sense. There's a cost to supporting features, in adding complexity to the site and for us to maintain them as well. The more features we have, the more difficult it is to add new ones. It makes sense for us to focus our resources where most people will benefit.

I'm glad the forums have been so useful to you and to others. Hopefully we can capture what was best about them and integrate them better into the core of the site. We don't have an ETA yet on the next version. We'll be starting off with an iPhone app and then upgrading the website when that's ready.

posted over 5 years ago

• I like the forums, and am glad we can still access them (for now) even though it's not very obvious anymore. It seems a bit silly to concentrate on the iPhone app before upgrading the website itself. After all, everyone already uses the website so that's obviously going to have the most impact on everyone.

I think it was about 6 months ago I asked someone a question about the messaging system on here and was told it was going to be upgraded as the new version would be coming out. Yet, here I see the new version isn't even the priority. I sort of feel like I'm being strung along, perhaps to keep me (and others) happy so I pay for a Pro membership again.

posted over 5 years ago

• The new version is the priority, we're developing the website and iphone experience simultaneously. The iPhone beta will be released first because it's the most experimental and will need the most time to work out bugs. This is a big undertaking for us, and we're doing all we can to release it as soon as possible. Hope that clears things up!

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Garybaldimort said:I think most if not all of my DM friends came from the forum where i saw they had just joined like me or had a similar outlook on juggling exercise and the rest of life. I also managed to got some cracking advice that I would not have got anywhere... read more

Thanks Gary!!!!!

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Kris B. said:Less people use the forums so you remove them? Another way of thinking could have been to make them more prominent so more people used them, like with a new tab. I think the forums are the best part of DM. I use forums on other running sites and... read more

Thanks so much for your post. Said what I was thinking but better :)

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Ben W. said:Hey Kris - some features won't be used as much as others. The goal is to have a very coherent experience. If we can take what works best in the forums and integrate it into the way that almost everyone else is using dailymile then that makes... read more

You know what Ben.... if you made the forums spam proof and had them back... I would pay to be on the site. I love this site and all the connections I have made in real life from them. Thanks for all you guys do and I hope you can bring them back with great style :) cant wait for the website part... I dont do the phone app stuff :P LOL

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Michael said:I like the forums, and am glad we can still access them (for now) even though it's not very obvious anymore. It seems a bit silly to concentrate on the iPhone app before upgrading the website itself. After all, everyone already uses the web... read more

I hope they do the website upgrade first too. You know me and technology! :P Hope they can work on the messaging system for you too!

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Kelly K. said:The new version is the priority, we're developing the website and iphone experience simultaneously. The iPhone beta will be released first because it's the most experimental and will need the most time to work out bugs. This is a big und... read more

ahh yeah ok I get the reasoning now for doing the phone thing first now. Dear Gods of DM rulers.... I don't even own a microwave so that is how far down on the techno list I go! :P Thanks for all you guys do and I hope you dont think I was complaining... I just really love this place and wanted to find a great way of coming together for answers since so many of my friends were asking as well as me wondering!

Again, appreciate it and I look forward to going Pro when the bugs are worked out and the forums are back in some way on the site!! YAY

posted over 5 years ago

• I rarely post in the forums but I read them constantly.

I think I would probably use them more if they had less bugs, like when you go to a specific area via the menu on the left and then want to view multiple pages and it takes you back to the main page. But I get that it's just not that popular compared to the number of users posting workouts.

edit:

Actually just thought about this a little more and I've realised the main thing I like about the forums is the repository of knowledge. If you have a question there's no way to search through previous DM status updates to find other people who had the same problem but in the forum you can just type in 'runners knee' and find posts from 20 other people who have had the same issue.

I don't know what your plans are to integrate the forums with the website but I think this is a useful function and hope you are able to find some way to create something similar.

posted over 5 years ago | edited over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Ben W. said:Hey Kris - some features won't be used as much as others. The goal is to have a very coherent experience. If we can take what works best in the forums and integrate it into the way that almost everyone else is using dailymile then that makes... read more

yes- the forums had been a terrific feature. But that's OK. Users will find what they need over on Slowtwitch.com and BeginnerTriathlete.com and RunnersWorld forums instead of DM. Not a problem for me.

posted over 5 years ago

• Jan
    Jan Sendmail

Gozling, I feel the same & appreciate your thread here. I appreciate the good ideas you've offered.

With the forums being practically gone now, plus the Events & Challenge features being un-robust & unsearchable, I don't seriously consider going Pro. I currently pay for LoseIt and send donations to support RunningAhead.com... I obviously don't mind showing my appreciation for a good site with my $$. If those DM features (Events, Challenges, Forums) worked 70% better, I'd pay up.

Fingers crossed for an update at some point in the future (?!) that will send me running for my credit card.

posted over 5 years ago

• Jan
    Jan Sendmail

Morey, +1

• I was searching and searching tonight and just happen to stumble upon a link to the forum page! I knew it existed once upon a time. I found it about a month ago and found it helpful for a question I had! I was beginning to think I had gone crazy and that it never did exists. I too am bummed! Hopefully in time, they will fix this over site? :-(

posted over 5 years ago

• Goz, I so agree with you. Had to google it to fine where it is now ... I thought that maybe they would only have it if you paid for Pro????

posted over 5 years ago

• Couldn't find Forum, only got here via google search. Sorry to see Forums go. It was a good way to learn from other runners. Chris Kelley - Framingham

posted over 5 years ago

• in reply to what Chris K. said:Couldn't find Forum, only got here via google search. Sorry to see Forums go. It was a good way to learn from other runners. Chris Kelley - Framingham

So I guess we best FR everyone we can now, cause next thing you know, they will take that away from us too? LOL

posted over 5 years ago

• You could still access the forums by adding the /forums to the main URL. But yes, the link to the forums is not available as a direct link from the site. And that is strange.

posted over 5 years ago

• I thought it was just me! What the heck! The forum is fun and informative and it is the first thing I look at when I get into the Daily Mile site. Is it coming back?

posted over 5 years ago

• I agree. I miss the forums. (I know they are still around, but they are so hard find now.) It was a great way to start out on Daily Mile & I still like to browse the topics every so often. Seems like if the forums were in a more prominent place they would get used a lot more.

• I agree, this is how I found new friends or people in need of advice. As a returning user, this was way harder to find in the site and it lead me to believe we DM'ers are vanashing which led me to ask that question. I became a member March of 2011 and since then, I have seen a big turn around in this site. They really do need to put the forum tab back and make it big so we can all find the support we need!

posted over 5 years ago

• I have been wondering about the missing forums for weeks and just stumbled on the link at the bottom of my profile page. I have missed them and agree with others that the forums were/are the best way to make connections with new people on Daily Mile. Please put the link back where people can find it.

posted over 5 years ago

• 4 months later, no new information?

posted about 5 years ago

• in reply to what Morey B. said:yes- the forums had been a terrific feature. But that's OK. Users will find what they need over on Slowtwitch.com and BeginnerTriathlete.com and RunnersWorld forums instead of DM. Not a problem for me.

That's a great idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that!
    Once ll get down to 2-3 friends, I can post and advert for DM friends in the RW forums ;-)
    At least I wouldn't feel like I was stalking people like I would sending FR's to strangers :-)

posted almost 5 years ago