Answers/

Anything Goes

Walking 20 miles a week and not losing weight?

asked over 4 years ago | Report

I have been walking/jogging for a good month and a half The last 3 weeks i have bumbed up my workouts and have gotten to 20 miles a week. i am working out everyday of the week some days harder then others. I have cut my intake of food and i have seen almost 2 inches come off my belly or rather my backside of my belly but the numbers on the scale are going now where and maybe even up... my only motivation that remains is that my clothes are fitting a bit better. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

Update im not sure how to respond or it wont let me because it was a question!
Anyways thanks for all the support im taking a harder look at my calories and what else i can change but def not giving up on walking/jogging. And yes i am building up to jogging i do some jogging now in between walking! thanks again!

11 answers

scroll to bottom
  • If your clothes are fitting better and you're losing inches, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. Losing weight doesn't have to be the absolute goal if you notice that you look and feel better even if the number is staying the same.

But from my own personal experience, it took about two to three months after I started running to really start seeing results both in how my clothes fit and how much I weighed. It may be discouraging but just give it some time.

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Sounds like you are gaining muscle tone as you are dropping bodyfat.. If this is the case than the scale won't movevery much, but that is a good thing

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • "...my clothes are fitting a bit better. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?"

A: nothing. keep it up!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I had the same thing happen to me. I read a comment that was exactly right, you are gaining muscle. Muscle is denser than fat so it ways more. The important thing to keep track of is your measurements (waist, hips, etc). That is what you true inidicator of success is. I have been running for 1.5 years and have change my eating habit tremedously...but I've only lost 10 pounds. Not at my goal weight yet, but I feel great and that's what's important. Don't give up!!! Keep it off...I promise it will eventually come off.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Just keep doing what your doing, sometimes with exercise the weight comes off really slow but the inches come off quicker. I rarely weigh myself for that exact reason, and if I ran the day before I weigh I will weigh more. If you plan on weighing yourself make sure to weigh yourself the day after your rest day. So if your rest day is on a Tuesday, weigh yourself Wednesday morning before your walk. I weigh about twice a month and sometimes I go even longer. Seeing the number on the scale can be discouraging so its good to limit how often you step on the scale

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Depends on weight, but for me (165 lbs), it would take about 5.5 hours to walk 20 miles and a moderate pace, and that would burn about 2100 calories. There are about 3500 calories in a lb. of fat - less than 1 lb. per week of fat maximum weight loss. But, eating diet too high in carbs when you're trying to lose weight can result in mostly glycogen being used up when you walk/work out, and too little fat can cause your body to get stingy with it's fat stores, and try to hold onto them more tightly. Assuming you are eating "right," and not simply less, you can expect to lose weight on average over time, even though you will appear to lose a lot some weeks and gain a little other weeks, etc... Sometime fat los is offset by muscle increases as well. Muscle is more dense/heavy than fat, so a small gain in muscle will weight more than a slightly larger loss of fat volume.

Chances are, you just need to stick with it, make sure you're eating a diet that supports your weight loss goals, ramp up your workouts as you are able to, and allow the process to pick up some steam. There will be ups and down week-to-week, but also look at what is happening month to month, and you'll probably find over time that despite the short term variations, you're moving steadily toward your goals.

Cheers!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You're not doing anything wrong. Weight loss isn't a big secret. It is always calories in vs. calories out. You can make it more complicated by the types of calories etc. but if you're eating fresh food (good rule of thumb, if it looks like it dead when it was alive, eat it. e.g. chicken breast, lettuce) you should be fine. Also keep in mind, typically weight tends to come off from the extremities first, which is why it's hard to target any specific fat zone.

Keep up the walking. Are you training to start jogging at all or just interested in walking?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Back when I was an avid body builder we always said muscle weighs more than fat per cubic unit. Are you losing weight while also gaining muscle mass?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Sounds like you are on track, sometimes these things take time. But your clothes are fitting better and I imagine you are feeling better. That is AWESOME!! Keep up the great work!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • yes you are most likely building muscle while losing fat. which is a good thing, you wont see much change on the scale. your doing nothing wrong at all, just make sure your eating enough, and try to switch to 5-6 small meals a day, instead of 3 big ones. also very important to eat breakfast! i can not stress that enough, not eating enough food, will actually cause you to store fat, and lose muscle, so you will see a drop on the scale, but it wont be fat your losing, if you eat less then 1250 calories a day, your body goes into starvation mode, and your body stores any fat you take in, generally if your active and you eat healthy foods, you will start to drop the weight, but no matter who you are, if your just starting to exercise, you wont see much of a weight loss for a month or 2, that is beacuse of the muscle gain, but dont let it bother you, cause you are doing the right thing. also muscle burns calories, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn by doing nothing! .

also watch the carbs, try to cut them way down, cause your body will burn that up before the fat, and try to increase your lean protiens. and just enjoy your workous, and know that no matter what someone tells you, it is impossible to target certain fat zones, you cannot do it. most people have a problem with the love handles, and they belive situps will help, well they do, but not nearly enough, to burn fat its all about cardio, and your body just burns fat from were it decides to, you cant pick the spot. in time with a healthy active lifestyle, your body will slowly reduce its body fat %, and eventually it will show.

so just keep up the great work, and dont get upset with not seeing the scale drop, i know people who actually get rid of the scale while dieting and working out, beacuse its misleading with the muscle gain, and if someone works so hard to lose weight for a month, and they see no drop in pounds, it can make them want to give up.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Your weight could be an issue of gaining muscle. Your clothes are fitting better and I think that is great. Not sure what exactly you are eating but try eating leaner meats (turkey patties are actually not bad and have 22g of protein each), eliminating breads, pastas, and sauces. Those are empty carbs and not much if any nutritional value. Eat fuel efficient foods for your body. The more bread, pasta and sauces you take in the more your body is going to just store and it will be harder to burn off. Also watch your sodium intake, 3000mg per day is plenty, if that.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in General - Anything Goes