Answers/

Anything Goes

How to get rid of calf cramp?

asked over 5 years ago | Report

What is the fastest way to get rid of soreness from a cramp in my calf I got last night while sleeping? Rest? Is it OK to bike instead of running? What should I do??

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Compression socks!

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My massage therapist just released mine, but also suggested soaking my calf in Epson Salt and warm water. Not sure if it works but I am going to try it. She said it releases toxins and lactic Acid build up.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Stretch it out. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--8969-0,00.html
    Rest.
    Yes, it's okay to ride the bike. It's not okay to replace a quality run with a bike ride though.
    I always make sure to get my quality workouts in. That means speedwork/trackwork and long runs.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Drinking water before/during/after the run and stretching (at least, depending on distance) before and after will do a lot for you in terms of avoiding the cramping.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I got a leg cramp when I tried to do a "Rocky" run at the end of my 4 miler. I could hardly walk back to my car. It was sore the next day so when i did my dog walks, I did an extra long stride. It seemed to give the calf a little extra stretch and after a few days it was manageable and I was able to do some short runs on the treadmill.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in General - Anything Goes