Answers/

Anything Goes

Kim
Kim Sendmail

How FAR can I run with my dog?

asked almost 10 years ago | Report

I am actually curious as to how far I can run with my dog...I have a Parson Terrier so shes not so leggy and my husband nags me to take her on the runs with me, but can she do 10k?

19 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I have ran as far as a half marathon distance with my poochie and she did AWESOME! She is a boxer mix so this may have something to do with her over abundance of energy she always has. I can't see there being any problem with yours going 10K - it's awesome having a dog as a running partner!

answered almost 10 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Build her up to it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Like Brodie says. you need to build her up to it. She needs to train for the distance, and just going out for a 6 mile jaunt could be too much to begin with. But also, maybe not...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I went to a trail race with my friend Nick one time in West Virginia on a mountain side. It was called the (Dirty Dog 15k) which equals 9.3-miles. There were alot of Labs, some Golden Retrievers, but the dog that impressed me the most was the small poodle that ran every step with the woman that brought the dog. I can't remember if it was male or female, but I do remember it was small and had just ran 93-miles on a hill side in the awesome hills of West Virginia.

I do agree with building up to the mileage intended. We had to do the same thing. But who knows what might happen if you dare-try. Good-Luck with it. ( =
    God Bless.... +

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've been training for my first marathon with my black lab. She builds distance with me, and we're up to 14 miles this week. I think that might be as far as I take her, I'm not sure. But... she just loves it. Shows no real signs of exhaustion on our long days. She eats a banana before we head out and refuels when I do during the long runs.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I know it is a simple answer but ask her vet. Some breeds, even if you build them to it, simply aren't made for distance.

answered over 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Terriers like to run so they may be able to get up that. Talk to you vet and see what they advise. Just like you had to build up to the distance, so will your dog. For instance, my dog took a month to run consistently up to 6 km. Also, smaller dogs cannot run as far or as fast as larger dogs without water/food as well.

A strategy I use when I take my dog running beyond her capacity is to run an out-and-back of 4-5 km, drop her off at home with water and food, then go back out to finish the run.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a Jack Russell Terrier and she can do a 10K. I run with her at least 3 times a week.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • DON'T DO IT!!
    The dog will just get in better shape and require that much more exercise to tire them out! :)

Consider yourself warned!

(But Kellie might be inspiring me to bring along my dogs to build up their distance - their distance PR is 5 miles so far)

answered over 6 years ago |edited over 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a 9lb silky terrier and he loves to run we usually can do 1.5-2 miles before he gets too tired. So I think it could be doable if you work up to it!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have taken my pup on 6 miles run/walk (more running) and she did great! I did work her up to this distance! though :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Yes, I talked to a vet friend who said absolutely. Just build up the mileage by no more than 10% each week. If you start to notice your dog having difficulty laying down or stairs, etc...then back off.

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • as others have already said (a) it depends on the dog and (b) BUILD UP SLOWLY!

I have a friend who is an ultra-marathoner. He rescued a small Min-Pin mix from a shelter and the dog took to running like a duck to water (as if it had always done it). He has taken the dog with him on a trail marathon, The dog made it 23.5 miles and he carried it the rest of the way. The dog was fully recovered within a week. That is an extreme case but the point is BUILD UP SLOWLY!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I once offered to look after a friend's dog while he went on holiday. Car was out of service so I speed-walked the dog back to my house about 2 km away. It was a hot day. The dog died by the time I was home.

The mistake I made was not paying enough attention to the dog's state. He was panting quite a bit so I hurried to get the dog home and into the shade. In retrospect I should have tried to find some shade on the way or slowed down. So if your doggie starts panting a lot, take it from me, it's best to just stop.

P.S. Nobody has asked me to look after a dog since.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Build them up in distance just like you have to yourself. My boxer goes with me on a hands-free leash. Our farthest is 10 miles at this point. I don't think I'll take her longer than 14. She loves it, but I do have to make sure we stop at creeks/streams or I bring water for her, and I don't bring her in the summer if I'm running after 10AM because its just too hot for her.

It's a great bonding experience with your dog - give it a try!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The best running partner I ever had was my yellow lab / husky mix. He ran with me well past the age of 10 before he started slowing down. My inclination is to say that dogs are made to run. A Parson Terrier is small though. Probably you should take him on short runs and see how he does. I think you can build him up to the 10k pretty quickly. Good luck. Chris Kelley - Framingham.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a Jack Russell Terrier and she does more than 10K with me all the time. Just work her up to the miles.... Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with everyone on building them up.. just like you are training - they are training... also give her a clean bill of health from the vet - no heart issues.

The one thing that I do is carry my nathan pak. It is more for Scout than for me. Make sure to pay attention to the weather and their behavior. Even if scout is distracted I open the corner of her mouth and squirt some water in there-- then it prompts her to drink out of my hand. I also carry some kibbles-- her dry dog food with me. She was up to doing the 20 miles with me and just like I needed energy, so did she....so when I stopped to have a date, she had some kibbles and water.

Make a note of weather. In the summer our runs were done by 9am. Even the long 3 hour runs. The pavement gets too hot- the sun just too hot. I found running later was bad because of the heat still in the pavement. Trails of course were great but keep note of the temps. In the winter she doesnt seem to want to drink as much but it is still important to prompt and offer. I notice I dont feel thirsty either...

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/mushers-secret-paw-pad-protection-wax.html?gclid=CJ_6sKiM2rQCFUQw4AodJwwAvw I use this for her paws in the winter. Salt is really bad for their pads and this helps her a lot... again it is in my pak.

I also carry my phone, a knife and mace. The mace is for other dogs that are loose and the knife - well same thing if it escalates.
    Oh I forgot to mention i also have a separate water bowl with about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar to a water bowl... its a natural electrolyte and she only drinks out of it about 20 min after she comes in from a run... other than that she doesnt drink it... but nice to know she can have access to an electrolyte if needed.

I also tried for the first time this summer towards the end the ice neck wraps http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kool+collars+for+dogs&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4244531197&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15482266991183654980&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_9fjw2qep60_b

she seemed to like it :)

Hope that helps.

answered over 5 years ago |edited over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • bump to top

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in General - Anything Goes