Answers/

Anything Goes

Is there an easy way to see how many miles I have run this year?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

The mileage under my profile includes cumulative miles for all activities and the training dashboard shows mileage by day, week, and month but I don't see a way to calculate running miles for the year without doing math? I just want to see my running miles for 2012. Thanks!

UPDATE:

Since I can't post a reply to everyone as a separate entry (another feature request I suppose) I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. This confirms what I suspected, that there is no easy way to just see your running miles (or other specific sport). Although it's kind of a pain I will probably go back and delete all non-running entries that calculate mileage (thankfully I only have about 10 of them) and never post those activities in the future on DM. This way I will know my mileage total is the same as my running miles. I know that doesn't solve anyone else's problem them so hopefully they add this feature in the future. Thanks all!

7 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I think you may have to get ur calculator out.

Quickest way:

Training -> select Running -> select Monthly -> add up the 12 months.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • yeah- I thnk adam's suggestion above is the only way. that's why I also log all of my workouts over on Beginner Triathlete .com to get better tracking options.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Edited my comment away - I totally misread your question and missed the whole part about total by activity type.

But because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I poked at the API documentation. Problem is that there's no way to pull analytics that dm doesn't already compile. Something could be built, but it'd essentially need to pull your full stream and then parse it out locally to grab all the activity types and distances to chart and graph. Hmmmmm........

answered about 2 years ago |edited about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Not that you want to hear this. But this is one reason I use Garmin Training Center on top of using DM. It provides better analytic output on my whole data set using the Garmin software. DM is great for buddies though.

answered almost 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • There is a way but it's not real obvious, and takes a few steps and a bit of Excel spankiness.

Go to the training tab. Look at the list of things on the left. The last one is Settings. Click on settings. Then click the export button. You'll get an Excel file which you can sort by date and activity type. But you'll notice that the exported distance field looks weird. Make a new column and in that new column, divide the exported distance by 1609.33 to get your distance in miles.

I'm kind of an Excel geek so I've done graphs and pivot tables to show mileage by activity and other fun stuff.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • There are a few challenges that track specific running miles, but you would have had to sign up for them already. If it's a running challenge, it will count only activities flagged as running and you can keep tabs that way. Just a note for the future.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You could join this annual Challenge I post every year (it tracks your miles-to-date from the date that you join it): http://www.dailymile.com/challenges/4376-run-every-day-in-2012

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in General - Anything Goes